Other Grape skins loose or in a mesh bag?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windnutz

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to the forum but have been making wine kits for about a year now.

Having recently started buying kits with grape skins I am looking for some tips on how to get the best from my kits. One thing I am still trying to decide/get advice on is if putting the grape skins in the mesh bag provided is the best way, or if putting them loose in the musk would improve things?

I am sure this has been discussed many times on here, but I can't seem to find any advice one way or the other.

Thanks in advanced

Having them in a mesh bag makes transferring much easier. If they aren't in a bag you have to pour the juice through a strainer to get rid of them. With the mesh bag you can easily pull the bag out and just siphon off the juice. I've done one country wine without the bag. Never again!

And on the 100% flip side, I've done both as well and much prefer my fruit (grapes or otherwise) completely free floating in the must and in full contact with the fermenting juice.

For "other than grape wines" and grape pack kits, at separation time, just dump the bucket into another with a bag in it, drop the bag it in the press and squeeze.

Grape wine is done traditionally, remove the juice, scoop and press the skins, etc......

Yep, I now ferment with skins free. I think it allows for fuller extraction and you don't have to worry about punching down that floating bag all the time. At first racking, secure your mesh bag around another bucket and just pour in. Easy

I have done both, so I think it's a preference thing. I've done batches where I let the grapes and oak free in the must, and also batches where all solids are in a bag.

I usually choose NOT to use the mesh bag. I just throw the skins and everything right into the must.

Back