WineXpert Grape skin question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbird1

Reaction score
I have two red kits (Luna Rossa and Bravado) that I need to get started and was wondering what the best order to do them in is.

Option 1: Start the Luna Rossa first and have a batch ready sooner.

Option 2: Start the Bravado first and then re-use the grape skins in the Luna Rossa. This would get the clock started on the Bravado, but would reusing the skins increase the amount of time it would take for the Luna Rossa to be ready?

Would the skins add much to the Luna Rossa? Would it make more sense to save those skins for another higher end kit?

Thanks for any thoughts.

I've heard that others will reuse the skin pack but I've found that by the time I'm done with the first use there's not much of use left. It's like piranha have attacked a chicken and just left the bones (stems and seeds). I defer to others who have had success doing it that way though.

Yup, I agree, not too much left of the ones that come with a kit. Now if you can get some whole grapes and make a batch, those are definitely worth keeping. Of 100 lbs of grapes I got last fall, only had about 8 or 10 lbs of skins left, but they definitely improved a Valpolicella kit I threw them in (actually still have some PN from this Spring in the freezer).

Well that's good to know. I've not yet made a kit with skins, so wasn't sure if they'd have any impact on a second wine or not.

In that case, I think I'll start the Luna Rossa first so I can start building up my supply. We're not heavy drinkers, so we'll be able to wait for the Bravado to age a good while.

Thanks!

Well that's good to know. I've not yet made a kit with skins, so wasn't sure if they'd have any impact on a second wine or not.

In that case, I think I'll start the Luna Rossa first so I can start building up my supply. We're not heavy drinkers, so we'll be able to wait for the Bravado to age a good while.

Thanks!

That's the right way to go, IMO.

I'm a reuser! But it is always with a lower end kit after using the skins in a high end kit. Take a low end red, reuse the grape skins from the higher end kit, throw some raisins into secondary and even if it is just a placebo effect you've got a better low-ender when done. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks!
What did you think of your Luna Rossa? Will be starting soon, same dilemma. To skin or not to skin.

Back