Grape skin Packs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been difficult trying to find grape skins without buying a kit. I looked at some posts on this forum that are quite old and the information outdated. Any new ideas? I also had this thought. Would raisins work similar to skins?

Thanks

Raisins do not work similarly to skins. With apologies to those who add them, I only want a raisin taste in my Amerone wines.

There used to be a place and I am drawing a blank on the name of it that sold grape skins, you may have had to buy a wine kit through them and at one point they had stopped, but I believe they had started again.

There are some wineries near where I live. If I were to approach them, would they be willing to sell skins? Anyone ever try that?

Do you have to buy a kit also at Finer Wines?

Oh, maybe because they have to be kept cold, I'm not sure it would have any margin because of that.

Last edited:
On the occasion that I make wine from a lower-end kit that does not include skins, I will add body to the kit with Sun-Maid Zante Currants that I crush and add to the must. Zante currents are sun-dried black corinth grapes, which are a vinifera-style grape. It has worked for me.

It's been difficult trying to find grape skins without buying a kit. I looked at some posts on this forum that are quite old and the information outdated. Any new ideas? I also had this thought. Would raisins work similar to skins?

Thanks
I use the Mosti Modiali grape packs: Natural Grapes for Winemaking

On the occasion that I make wine from a lower-end kit that does not include skins, I will add body to the kit with Sun-Maid Zante Currants that I crush and add to the must. Zante currents are sun-dried black corinth grapes, which are a vinifera-style grape. It has worked for me.
This looks intriguing as they're readily available.
How do you prepare them for the must?
What quantity is used for 6 gallons of juice?
Thanks

This looks intriguing as they're readily available.
How do you prepare them for the must?
What quantity is used for 6 gallons of juice?
Thanks
I use up to a cup of Zante currants in the primary for low end kits. I have money that says that package is Zante currants. You can get Zante currants at a much lower price. That package is roughly 8 ounces and from the grocery Sun Maid Zante currants should be $3 or $4 for 8 ounces.

Latest posts

Back