RJ Spagnols Grape skin kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do the kits with the wet pack grape skins compare to the dried grape skin kits? I have made the CCW Chilean Malbec which came with the 2.5kg grape skins and I also purchased the Grand Cru International Australian Cab Sauv with the dried skins and was just curious.

[ The main reason I make these is that I have a LHBS very close to me who gets these kits for me dirt cheap. She is a little ole lady that probably just does this business to keep herself busy as there is no way she can be making mush off these at the prices I get them for.[/QUOTE]

Wade, could you pass along the name of the LHBS. Do they have a web site? I would like to check them out.

She has no website as its just a little hole in the wall store. Its called International foods in Waterbury Ct.. She really only carries the Grand Cru and Breezin kits in stock but she will order any RJs kits you want and they take about 1 week to come in. It would be worth the ride if you ordered a few kits from her.

With the grape skin kits, do you simply put them in the mixture, or do you use a bag? If you use a bag, do you you sterilize it? Thanks for the information.

Robert

I sterilize mine. I use Star-San though so it doesn't require any rinsing.

What is the best way to squeeze the juice from the skins before racking to the secondary?

Also I cannot seem to get the SG down to 0.997. It seems to have stopped at 1.000. Is this ok or what can I try? The must has lived at 23*C the whole time.

Thanks,
D

Just give it a good squeeze with you sanitized hands. Af far as sg goes pull a sample and shake it up or even nuke it to get the trapped C02 out of it to get an accurate sg reading, if its truly 1.000 you are most likely not going to be able to get this any lower. You could try stirring it though. How long as it been at this sg?

I sanitized a pair of rubber gloves and squeezed the "you know what" out of it.

How do the kits with the wet pack grape skins compare to the dried grape skin kits? I have made the CCW Chilean Malbec which came with the 2.5kg grape skins and I also purchased the Grand Cru International Australian Cab Sauv with the dried skins and was just curious.

I've made a couple of each. I'd say the dried grape skins don't add nearly enough tannin for a BIG red. They are great for merlot's and other medium reds. The winery series with the hydrated skins do a great job though. I'm going to bottle a winery series old vine zin tonight and its got some definite tannin like it should!

Latest posts

Back