Grape Quality

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
I get my grapes from Consumers Produce in Pittsburgh and noticed that they have several varieties of grapes from different vineyards. Looking at making a Cabernet this spring and noticed that they have several varieties:

“Cabernet” $49/lug
“Costamagna” Cab $69/lug
“Lanza” Cab $84/lug

There are a few others from Lanza that are in the $96/lug range.

Has anyone made the lower end and the higher end here that can speak to the difference?

I have no problem spending extra money if it’s going to make an appreciable difference but would rather not if the difference is not appreciable.

Thanks!

I was never convinced it would make that much difference until last fall. I got Lanza Petit Verdot from CFP and piggy backed some Washington State Cab Franc from a local winery and have to say they are without a doubt my best 2 wines. The PV was $64.00/lug and the CF was $76.00. I'm also very happy with the 2 batches of Cab Sauv from Stellenbosh S. Africa which were also around $2.00/lb. I can't afford to get all quality fruit but I will bit the bullet on a few.

The Lanza grapes have always been good for me, but their prices have gone up hugely in the last 2-3 years.

Still worth it or not in your opinion?

The most I ever paid was around $65 a lug and that was pushing it for me. I did get some El Dorado Pinot Noir that was a little higher. They all produced really good wines though. It comes down to what you feel it's worth. The wines I made with those Lanza grapes would do pretty well against $30+ bottles, IMHO. So I'm very happy with that.

The most I ever paid was around $65 a lug and that was pushing it for me. I did get some El Dorado Pinot Noir that was a little higher. They all produced really good wines though. It comes down to what you feel it's worth. The wines I made with those Lanza grapes would do pretty well against $30+ bottles, IMHO. So I'm very happy with that.

Don't forget you paid $76.00 for the HHH Merlot which you don't appear to be very fond of.

I wish I could get some fruit to you guys. I can source good commercial quality fruit for $40 lug, many varietals, all you would want. If anyone can figure out the logistics, I can handle the sourcing end...next year?

Really great offer but the logistics part is the issue. Most if not all of us on the East Coast don't make the volume you do and shipping a half to full ton in a reefer truck would be costly. Plus we are scattered parts of in VA, MD, PA, NJ and NY if we could get enough interested in the same varietals. This has been discussed in the past and just died. Again thank you for the offer, maybe someone will come up with the right solution.

Called CFP and am going with their suggestion to do the cheaper grapes this year being that this will only be my 2nd AG wine. Next year I’ll step up to the Lanza and then should have a good comparison moving forward.

I wish I could get some fruit to you guys. I can source good commercial quality fruit for $40 lug, many varietals, all you would want. If anyone can figure out the logistics, I can handle the sourcing end...next year?

Anyone happen to have an extra refrigerator truck hanging around?

I have been making my own wine for years using local concord that grows wild. Never had to buy any. Just curious, how big and roughly how many pounds of grapes are in a "lug"?

Thanks. I make a pretty mean batch of Concord, dry and back sweetened! I average over 150 lbs. for an afternoons worth of picking and get enough to last me till next season plus a batch of jam as well! My Wife and I like touring the wineries in Colorado. I’ll save my money for that.

I agree with this. About $0.50 per pound so $18 per "lug" is about the going rate if you come and pick your own. $1.00 if they pick it. The Petite Sirah I got last year was beautiful fruit and $0.50 per pound. I think back east, you're paying for the refrigerated freight. And, I actually like the picking process. You can be very selective about what you take and most of your sorting happens in the vineyard. The difficult part is lining up the picking with your work schedule with availability and ripeness. For me at least, that's a huge challenge. For example, we guessed a year ago, that a particular block of Zinfandel (9 years old) would be ready September 21. It turns out, it is, (Brix 24 today). So we're picking there next Saturday, hoping the brix goes up a point or two.

Latest posts

Back