Grape Press CL Ad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm most likely going to be purchasing a press this week I found on Craigslist. Problem is im not getting much info out of the seller and it's an hour drive to pick up. For $20 though it's gonna be worth it regardless.
I asked him the size, but all he said is he knows it's definitely not 10 gal or more. Here's the pic. If anyone has this same style and has more info on it that would be awesome. Thanks.

IMG_5688.JPG

Looks like a good deal for the $. This is what would concern me if I were making the purchase:

The base that the press basket sits on is an integral part of the press, and although it probably has a depression inside the basket that you can't see, with the little trough that leads out for wine to flow from, it looks like a problem. It does not appear to me from the picture that it will contain your juice as it flows from the basket. When you load that basket, the trough will quickly clog up, and wine will be running out between the slats all of the way around the basket, onto a flat base that won't contain the wine or direct the flow. The result will be wine running off of the table in all directions.

A simple solution would be a stainless pan for the basket to sit in, with a discharge hole to contain the wine and direct the flow, but there isn't a lot of space between the vertical press supports and the basket for it to fit.

As an example, look at the stainless pan in the image below:

press.jpg

Can you get the height and diameter out of him? The price is right, but if its small, it'll be worthless and you'd have wasted your time and $20.

It does not appear to me from the picture that it will contain your juice as it flows from the basket.

Yep. Which is why I called it an apple press. Cider will mostly flow more "slowly" out the bottom, while with grapes it can come fast and often out the sides near the bottom, necessitating a wider catch pan.

Last edited:
John, I thought that as well. Also noticing the basket askew, from the reveal between the basket and legs on either side. And as a carpenter I am not concerned if I needed to install a 1x rail or router the trough some more.
Can you get the height and diameter out of him? The price is right, but if its small, it'll be worthless and you'd have wasted your time and $20.

Working on it. I asked for it and awaiting his reply. There's nothing else in the pics to compare size. I've been scouring Craigslist for about 3 months and this is the first crazy cheap press I've come across. It's new as well. So needs to be treated. But when it rains it pours as they say. And I have to choose between this press for $20 that is new never used. And another for $27. Looks to be about the same size. Awaiting dimensions for that as well in email. Looks much sturdier but is missing the round oak "press plate" (I can handle that) and also mentions the bottom had been repaired but still works well. https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/6130220013.html?lang=en

IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5694.JPG

AJ, they look like the same press to me although it appears that someone added those block at the top for some reason. From a design standpoint they do nothing to strengthen the press, they only add height. I doubt they are original to the press. Whether the press is big enough for you or not would depend on the quantity of grapes you plan to process.

AJ, they look like the same press to me although it appears that someone added those block at the top for some reason. From a design standpoint they do nothing to strengthen the press, they only add height. I doubt they are original to the press. Whether the press is big enough for you or not would depend on the quantity of grapes you plan to process.

I thought they looked the same as well. Since it's new and has all the parts I am going to push for the 1st one in spite of an extra 30 min drive. I am just hoping it's not 3 gal or less. The biggest batches I will be doing any time soon will be 15 gal.

I may be off but I blew it up and scaled it based on the uprights being 2x4 and the screw bolt being 3/4". This gives me 10" diameter and 13" height which calculates to 4.7 gal.

Either 2x4 or 4x4 posts. Either way assuming 3 1/2". Thanks for that. I appreciate it a lot. Are You an architect perhaps? Or engineer? Although I was taught in my apprenticeship the number 1 rule in estimating is NEVER SCALE THE PRINTS!

Last edited:
Either 2x4 or 4x4 posts. Either way assuming 3 1/2". Thanks for that. I appreciate it a lot. Are You an architect perhaps? Or engineer? Although I was taught in my apprenticeship the number 1 rule in estimating is NEVER SCALE THE PRINTS![/QUOTE]

The one you posted is definately 2x4 since the threaded rod is 1/2 the size and at most 3/4". I'm a contractor and the rule is you don't scale dimensioned drawings but without proper information scaling is a necessity.

The one you posted is definately 2x4 since the threaded rod is 1/2 the size and at most 3/4". I'm a contractor and the rule is you don't scale dimensioned drawings but without proper information scaling is a necessity.[/QUOTE]

Haha. Yea man I was just breakin stones as they say. And yes, that wouldn't apply given my blurry picture of a press with nothing at all in the frame for size reference and zero numbers to go by.
Still no response from either seller. They replied right away earlier. But I asked for sizes and now nothing. I'm assuming I'll know dimensions this afternoon after work hours.

How bout this press???

Within 2 minutes of googling the differences between Apple presses and grape presses I fell in the vortex of "related images". Tons of interesting wine history out there.
So If the only difference is adding some rails around the tray (for wood press at least) then why not just add rails and market as Apple/grape press? Though There doesn't seem to be any dealbreakers I cannot modify myself with this one I think.

IMG_5695.JPG

I figure I have until October or so so I'm making my own. First ring bent. Going to have 3 rings 14" diameter 16-18" tall. Over a 10 gallon press. Cost around $50.00 utilizing a hydraulic pump.

Very cool! I hope you track your progress on here with that. I have a ton of questions about your plan for that price. That's exactly what I planned on doing eventually. And also the reason I'm grabbing something cheap from Craigslist for now. I made a quick bucket press last month for Chilean and it served its purpose well for 54 lbs. But ~250 lbs in fall I'll need a real press.
When I was checking them out at the store I thought there's absolutely no reason I can't build this myself. I'll have an adequate home workshop soon enough, and then just make some time. Even if it's one piece at a time.

Very cool! I hope you track your progress on here with that. I have a ton of questions about your plan for that price. That's exactly what I planned on doing eventually. And also the reason I'm grabbing something cheap from Craigslist for now. I made a quick bucket press last month for Chilean and it served its purpose well for 54 lbs. But ~250 lbs in fall I'll need a real press.
When I was checking them out at the store I thought there's absolutely no reason I can't build this myself. I'll have an adequate home workshop soon enough, and then just make some time. Even if it's one piece at a time.

Mine will definately be one piece at a time but ready for October. Now making a crusher destemmer is a whole other story. I can't seem to be able to find a drum or gear I think would work.

For $20 you could take the metal parts and completely re-do it. I would consider replacing most of the wood with metal. The threaded rod and the mantle and leg rods would be worth $20.

Latest posts

Back