Grape Leaf Phylloxera

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterEd

Backwoods, but not backwards...
Reaction score
Last year I had a fairly pronounced outbreak of leaf phylloxera on the vidal and chardonel varietals. It wasn't severe enough to cause a lot of concern. This year I had hardly any evidence of it and what little I found was on the Vidal. I trimmed it out and destroyed the affected vegetation. Has anyone else in the Arkansas/Missouri area had any problems with this disease?

One year it was pretty bad. the plants did not make it thorough the winter without a lot of damage. evidently the leaf damage was so extensive that the nutrient uptake was lacking and caused damage. I thereafter always sued Sevin in my spray mix.

Foliar phylloxera is an insect pest, not a disease. Sevin does not control it in general although I suppose it could kill a few at just the right time. There are several effective insecticides to use but they are generally very expensive. Normally the damage caused by them is not severe enough to warrant treatment. It has been a very warm dry year here this year and I saw more damage from it than any year previously. Some of the vines were weakened and did not ripen the fruit as well as they could have. Check with your state extension office for a guide book to use for spray programs.

Latest posts

Back