Grape Juice Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlbarnesesq

Junior
Reaction score
I have a concord grapevine and always think jelly. Just starting to make wine and thought someone here has seen it. The recipe said to let the juice sit for 12 to 24 hours. Although I strained it pretty much I knew that sediments were st there and would settle out. After 12 hours not much just a film. 24 the film changed. Biy did it change in the next 12. Including pictures. I skimmed the top used my wine syphon and made the jelly bu what happened?

Attachments

• EDFC335A-13AA-4D99-AC25-2B4A23B00D34.jpeg
    EDFC335A-13AA-4D99-AC25-2B4A23B00D34.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 9FD9E1A6-DFA7-4B64-8E27-3649EC2BB74D.jpeg
    9FD9E1A6-DFA7-4B64-8E27-3649EC2BB74D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
So many microorganisms in the world, which one(s) is/are it/they? I can’t answer this but those pictures look wild, like your pitcher could be a prop for a Sci-fi movie! The tendrils in the pink(?) portion definitely suggest some kind of order so I’d guess it is some type of life.
Just a guess here but this is a perfect argument for an initial appropriate size dose of Meta K to knock the heck out of unwanted microorganisms. Did you use any Meta K?
I’m sure someone here will be able to ID it, at least give you an ideal of what it could be.

The wrinkled skin look is common in mold cultures. Your growth is on the surface therefore it is an aerobic organism which is again typical of molds. , , , , in a food plant I would have to toss this juice as adulterated, , , , a good food process would be refrigerated, , , , risk the pH would be below 4 and probably close to 3.2 therefore the risk of food poisoning toxin is low but there could be off/ moldy flavors.

Your local high school should have a biology lab with a 1000x microscope. For laughs it would be interesting to see if the fine structure is long filaments (not round or cocci shape).

So many microorganisms in the world, which one(s) is/are it/they? I can’t answer this but those pictures look wild, like your pitcher could be a prop for a Sci-fi movie! The tendrils in the pink(?) portion definitely suggest some kind of order so I’d guess it is some type of life.
Just a guess here but this is a perfect argument for an initial appropriate size dose of Meta K to knock the heck out of unwanted microorganisms. Did you use any Meta K?
I’m sure someone here will be able to ID it, at least give you an ideal of what it could be.
No. I crushed the berries in a food mill, threw It all in a lot with a small amount of water and brought it to a boil. Then strained it through cheesecloth and let it sit. The recipe is from Ball canning on making grape jelly and it call for letting it sit 12 to 24 hours in a cool place.

I have been reading about making wine and the importance of sanitation but canning doesn’t. Getting ready f my first venture in winemaking.

Latest posts

Back