Quantcast

Grape growing

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

TomfromNJ

Junior
Reaction score
Would love to see information on grape growing, i.e., types that do well in certain areas, problems, diseases, etc.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Excellent suggestion, I will create a forum just for that area of wine making, can't believe I left it out!

Racer

Future vineyard owner
Reaction score
Is anyone else out there that is growing their own grapes? I've got close to 50 vines myself and really like the grape growing part of the hobby too. It would be nice to have a spot on the forum here for that if there is enough interest shown.

moose-1110

Reaction score
I am thinking about trying to grow my own grapes and a forum on this would be very helpful

Sacalait

Reaction score
I have 7 different varieties of muscadines and about 30 vines.

Racer

Future vineyard owner
Reaction score
I've got 45 vines that are a mix of vinifera(chardonnay & auxerrois)and hybrids, marquette, frontenac gris,la crescent, valvin muscat.I had cayuga and chardonel growing but have changed over to the newer hybrids because I like the taste of the wines these newer hybrids have.

bruno

Reaction score
I have 1600 vines on order to ship next May. I'm starting a small vineyard on 3 acres. I'm located in N. Michigan so all grapes are very hardy. I'm getting Marquette, Frontenac, Swenson Red, Brianna, and Cayuga White. Have spent this past summer prepping my vineyard. Had to Round-up all the quack grass, plow and roto-till the field, and put up a 7 1/2' deer fense around the property. Lots of work, but enjoyable.

Have been doing lots of reading, and attended a 2-day seminar sponsored by MSU on starting a vineyard.

Looking forward to hear of other's experiences.

Racer

Future vineyard owner
Reaction score
Bruno have you decided on what type of trellis system your going to use yet? I've been growing my small amount of vines for 6 yrs. now and am trying to learn as much as I can now so I can try and have an easier time planting my own vineyard about 10 years from now. I own a little over 6 acres in another state I plan on retiring to and hope to plant 2 - 4 acres of it in grapes when I get there.

bruno

Reaction score
I think I have decided to go with the top wire cordon.

Racer

Future vineyard owner
Reaction score
Thats a nice and simple trellis system to work with. Just a heads up for you on the cayuga, it can set alot of fruit and depending on your growing season can need cluster thinning.I tried to keep mine with only 2 clusters per shoot.

moose-1110

Reaction score
This is why we need a forum on this. I don't have a clue as to what racer just said, but it sounds interesting/important:confused:

upper

Reaction score
Moose,Some varieties of grapes(though mostly table type) Do better if you thin some bunches off the vine.Two good bunches verses 3 puny. Hope this helps you some.....Upper

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
We do have a forum on this, its calld Vineyards and Fruit Gardens.