Grape concentrate vs. Grape Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo

Junior
Reaction score
Hi!
So I have tried to read up on this before posting, but I feel like I find conflicting answers or answers that are way over my head. And I would rather hear it straight from "real people".

I have been making Island Mist kits and adding 2 lb of sugar and 1L of grape concentrate in the beginning to bump up the alcohol content. I've been happy with the results. But I AM wondering what real difference it would make if I used 100% grape juice instead of the concentrate. Just because the concentrate is so much more expensive (and I am already out of control with this new hobby, haha).

Thanks in advance!

I can't really help you much with your problem other than I believe store bought grape juice is going to be thin and not ideal for making quality wine (amongst other things).
You sound like a good candidate to go down the Dragon Blood worm hole which you can read about on this site. Surprisingly drinkable and cheap. You basically need 10 lbs sugar, 2 bags of frozen fruit, lemon juice ,nutrients and yeast.
Good luck, welcome to the site and hobby!

I can't really help you much with your problem other than I believe store bought grape juice is going to be thin and not ideal for making quality wine (amongst other things).
You sound like a good candidate to go down the Dragon Blood worm hole which you can read about on this site. Surprisingly drinkable and cheap. You basically need 10 lbs sugar, 2 bags of frozen fruit, lemon juice ,nutrients and yeast.
Good luck, welcome to the site and hobby!
Thanks! I will have to look into it ;) We had a local winery close a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure I have discovered they used the Island Mist kits for their sweet wines. So right now I'm supplying the neighborhood with what we have been missing lol! But I really will look into it, because I'm getting way too into this!

@toadie is correct the wine concentrate will give you more body than grape juice as long as it is really grape juice and not the of the grocery shelf stuff. the best way to determine this is m ake a batch both ways and compare. you might like the juice version just as well.

@toadie is correct the wine concentrate will give you more body than grape juice as long as it is really grape juice and not the of the grocery shelf stuff. the best way to determine this is m ake a batch both ways and compare. you might like the juice version just as well.

I do like the added body, so it does sound like I am better off sticking with the concentrate. I appreciate the replies :)

@Turbo, what volume are you diluting the kit to? Island Mist is a 23 liter kit -- are you including the concentrate as part of the 23 liters, or in addition? This is curiosity on my part.

I agree, don't use drinking juice -- in addition to being thin, do you want wine that tastes like that juice?

Keep in mind that even grape juice concentrates are not really "Wine Grape" products so the island mist kit flavors are going to be changed significantly the more concentrate you use. As long as you know that going in, fine but don't be surprised if the flavor before sweetening with juice concentrate changes a bunch.

Back