Grape Concentrate... Stuck?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the middle of making 4 gallons of red grape wine from Welch's grape concentrate. I started with an SG of 1.091 and a month later, it dropped to 1.010. 10 days later, it was still at 1.010. I believe this is a stuck fermentation, but have not experienced one before, I'm not sure what to do now. I'm too scared to bottle!

It was a little high s.g. in the beginning but not to worry. You could add a little super ferment but I would rack it off the lees into a carboy and let it age a little to clear. You wouldn't want to bottle now. If any fermenting still going on it would be slow since a lot of the sugar has been eaten up.

Your s.g. should be closer to 1.000 Keep in mind the s.g. will be different for a warm must vs. a cooler one.

Look at it this way, if it has finished fermenting you wouldn't have to sweeten it.

actually you could put in some kmeta and bottle away or bulk age. 1.010 is a little over 9~10% abv or so, but that's ok. should be more smooth this way. i would do that and not try to ferment dry.

Potassium Metabisulphate

It's a chemical used to kill bacteria. You definitely want to follow the directions.

I am new to and from what I understand you want to do k-meta and sorbate before bottling?

Latest posts

Back