Granulated honey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert R

Reaction score
I have 20 or 30# of granulated honey that came from a cousin of my wife, after her husband passed away a couple of years ago (he bought a 50# bag of the stuff, because he always bought the quantity of almost anything that calculated to the lowest price per unit / serving). Can it be used for mead? If so, in what proportions?

The granulated honey vendors have offered to me has a few percent of dextrin in to assist in drying. In a wine it will be a neutral flavor non-fermentable soluble carbohydrate. Considering honey already has non-fermentable sugars you should not notice it in the background

The granulated honey vendors have offered to me has a few percent of dextrin in to assist in drying. In a wine it will be a neutral flavor non-fermentable soluble carbohydrate. Considering honey already has non-fermentable sugars you should not notice it in the background

Honey granulates on its own given time, which comports with the honey being a couple years old.

I've had honey solid as a brick a month after I harvested it.

Can it be used for mead? If so, in what proportions?

It's still honey. Pound for pound. it's just a little harder to dissolve. If you're looking for a recipe, I put my dry traditional recipe here: Suggestions for adding some body to mead

Honey crystallizes on its own, some of mine left from last year's harvest (my bees) has partially solidified. Granulated is different - it's dried out and pours like sugar.

Creamed honey is granulated honey. If it is warmed to ~90°F or so it will liquify.

A pound of granulated honey = a pound of liquid honey.

If you're only doing a gallon you should be able to put the honey in a regular double boiler and liquify. Make sure to keep the temp under 100°. If you need ten or twelve pounds, then an twelve quart pot in a soup pot of water will certainly get the job done.

When my girls on on golden rod in the fall, or buckwheat any time their honey will crystallize in a jiff.

Did not know this product existed in this form. Dried honey. Who knew?

The great thing about beekeeping is that you learn something new everyday.

To be fair, I thought granulated was the same as solidified honey. My honey will solidify (everything I read said it granulated). I love to make creamed honey but it doesn't seem to set up like it did in the past. Guess that discussion is for another forum.

My 2019 honey hardly crystalized at all, but 2020 was quicker to do so. Does make it less messy to dip a spoonful to sweeten my morning oatmeal. I've had no complaints from my customers about it, as the taste is very floral and everyone says they love it. The owner and the manager of the gym I work out in are both repeat honey customers. :cool:

To be fair, I thought granulated was the same as solidified honey. My honey will solidify (everything I read said it granulated). I love to make creamed honey but it doesn't seem to set up like it did in the past. Guess that discussion is for another forum.

It is granulated. That's the term beekeepers use. It's also a true description of the what happens to honey.

However, it is not "Granulated Honey" (caps and quotes for emphasis) which is honey that is processed and dried. It is a separate, unique product.

None of which I knew after six years of beekeeping until a couple of days ago. Thanks to dmv_chef.

Latest posts

Back