RJ Spagnols Grand Cru Sauvignon Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazin

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I started a Grand Cru Sauvignon Blanc today and I noticed that rather than ~7 days in the primary followed by another 10 or so in secondary, the kit instructions say to leave the wine in the primary for 14 days, then transfer to a carboy for stabilizing and clearing.

Since I only have one primary at the moment and I'm hoping to start a Raspberry Beer next weekend (I was making plans based on prior kit instruction experience), will it be ok to transfer this batch to a carboy at around 7 days to let it finish fermenting there, rather than leaving it in the primary?

Or, should I just use the 'follow the instructions' mantra?

Having never made a grand cru kit.. is it a 6 week or a 4 week kit?

Allie

either way buy a new Primary, dont make beer and wine in same plastic unless you want beer taste in your wine and wine tast in your beer. Being said Sauv Blanc flavor probably is mellow enough it probably wont carry to beer. Other way around would

Bazin:

When RJS first came out with the 14 day primary instructions, they said it was OK to follow the old instructions if you wanted. For Grand Cru that would be... 7 day primary, followed by about 10 days in carboy before adding additives.

Steve

Having never made a grand cru kit.. is it a 6 week or a 4 week kit?

It's a 4-week kit.

either way buy a new Primary, dont make beer and wine in same plastic unless you want beer taste in your wine and wine tast in your beer. Being said Sauv Blanc flavor probably is mellow enough it probably wont carry to beer. Other way around would

Well yes, ideally, I'd have a second primary. It just isn't in the 'cards' right now, so I have to make due with what I have.

Bazin:

When RJS first came out with the 14 day primary instructions, they said it was OK to follow the old instructions if you wanted. For Grand Cru that would be... 7 day primary, followed by about 10 days in carboy before adding additives.

Steve

Great to know, thanks.

Latest posts

Back