RJ Spagnols Grand Cru Pinot Noir and lees

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHowe

Well Read Noob
Reaction score
This is my first kit, but I'm ready for the most part. I'm most familiar with whites. I want the wine to end up really smooth so lower acidity, and not toooo fruity. But I hear this type of wine does really well to have a little lees brought over to the carboy after primary fermentation. Won't that add fruitiness to it though?

The other question is about racking. The kit instructions go 14 days or so primary (so even if SG is < 1.0 after 9 days it stays on the lees), then 14 days in carboy, then bottle. Seems like not enough racking?

You experienced Pinot Noir folks, what works well as far as lees, racking, etc to come up with a smooth end result on this kit?

For this kit rack off the gross lees and let it sit in the carboys a few more days under airlock.
More sediment will drop after you stabilize.
Just let it sit on the fine lees for about a month.
Then rackit it again and let it get crystal clear.
I let this age for several months in the carboy before I bottled

Last edited:
For this kit rack off the gross lees and let it sit in the carboys a few more days under airlock.
More sediment will drop after you stabilize.
Just let it sit on the fine lees for about a month.
Then rackit it again and let it get crystal clear.
I let this age for several months in the carboy before I bottled

I agree with Dan, I've done several Pinot Noir kits and though I'm not so sure that the fine lees give any fruitiness to it it certainly doesn't hurt it. Let it sit a lot longer than the directions calls for....weeks or months longer.

You won't be sorry.

Thanks, guys...when you say let it sit, you mean in the carboy on light lees after primary fermentation right? I read that Pinot Noir is best with the least touch on it, so I'm thinking 14 days in primary then rack to carboy with light lees and let it sit more than the 14 they recommend. Is this accurate to what you are suggesting?

Yes, and that last racking should be a good month or two. After a few kits you'll be inclined to let it sit longer and longer......aging in carboys...for months and months can really improve your wine.

Keep the wines coming and keep reading....you'll see what I mean.

Set it all up last night and pitched the yeast. Pretty excited as it is my first attempt at all of this. Nice to put all the reading and video watching aside and get my hands dirty (after sanitizing of course ha).

GC Pinot Noir - SG 1094, Lalvin RC 212 yeast, 71F dark space in basement (will consider pulling up to 80F kitchen while away on 4 day vaction end of next week).

Spent overnight in loose covered primary, and when I checked on it mid-morning there was a nice bubbly mass on there already so I sealed the lid and put on the airlock. Nice bubbling in airlock tonight, less than 24 hrs later. Off we go!

I will keep an eye on it for a few days to make sure it is still cruising along and may consider an SG test before I go away to make sure it isn't stuck. Will be back home when the wine hits one week old, so should be ok to leave. Instructions say to leave for 14 days in primary anyway.

I can see how this is addicting...and only to get more so once I taste the finished product a few months from now.

Latest posts

Back