RJ Spagnols grand cru kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisber

Reaction score
so i have some grand cru kits. so with these kits, typically once made and bottled. they should be consumed within a year of bottling? that is what people are saying. consume within 6 mths - year or they will go bad.

any way to keep them longer?

also, I have a few kits waiting to be made. what temperature should they be stored at??????

Cooler temps such as 55* would be good for storing these kits. If you dont add anymore k-meta then what came with the kit then I would say that they will last approx 1- 1/2 years with quality corks(#[email protected]") If you add an additional 1/4 tsp of k-meta like most wine kits recommend in notations at the bottom of the instructions the they will probaly go as far as 4-5, maybe even longer. This is all based on good cellar coditions also. Proper cellar conditions are a stable 55* with 65-70% humidity. If you are straying form any of these then your wine wont last as long. Main thing is to add the additional meta if you plan on keeping any for an extended period of time and try to keep the bottles in an aea where temps are very stable without vibrations and preferably out of any natural light or florescent lighting. Another thing is to try and use bottles that are dark as they will help block from light.

1/4 tsp

is that a 1/4 tsp to the whole kit or per bottle?

is this added at bottling time or added when the other meta is added.

i take it that you are talking about "Potassium Metabisulphite"

Yes, potassium Meta. 1/4 tsp per 5-6 gallon batch. The addition is on top of what they supply. If you add what they give you and bottle per their instructions then it is at bottling. If you rack off the lees and bulk age then add that 1/4 tsp afer each 3 months of bulk aging. The amount of sulfite that we add to our wine is far below what a commercial winery typically adds. In example with the EXTRA 1/4 tsp at bottling time, that would usually give our wine a total of about 50 ppm of free S02, a typical commercial winery will have 75 -125 ppm depending on what kind of wine it is and if it ha been sweetened.

perfect, so if i add this at bottling time, i can keep the wine for at least two - three years?

With ok cellar conditions yes. Unless you dont drink very often or are very patient though I dont see this happening with the first few batches. I had to really make a lot of wine to actually tart being able to keep some around for some time and thats when it really starts to pay off, by having let the wine truly age to its full potential.

Last edited:
It will turn out fine. It really takes alot to mess up wine despite all we talk about. We talk about extreme sanitary condition but must say that when I first started doing this I wasnt the best person for sanitation as I was working in a dirty cellar with very little light and havent lost a batch yet except 1 and that was when I swithced from campden tablets to powder and used tble spoon instead of tsp. Oops!

No, I make a lot of fruit wines and do dabble in some grapes but not a lot as I just dont have the equipment or area for the equipment.

Latest posts

Back