RJ Spagnols Grand Cru International Washington Merlot, tweak?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas

Reaction score
Hi All!

Well, I just bottled my Grand Cru International Washington Merlot (12L kit). I ended up adding some acid blend to adjust for a little flabbiness and a touch of wine conditioner. The wine turned out to be drinkable.

My initial issue was that the wine was thin and flabby, hence the tweaks. I love the taste of the grape juice, however, and the addition of the dried grape skins added a little body.

I would like to make this kit again and was wondering if anyone had any tweaks they could recommend. I need a little more body and bite. I was considering to start a Cru Select kit but a little hesitant since almost none of those come with grape skins. I need this to be an early drinker since I have an Italian Super Tuscan bulk aging and need something to fill the gap, so to speak.

Thanks in advance!

Adding tannin may be what gets this wine where you want it. I'd go with Tancor Grand Cru, Tannin Riche, or Tannin Riche Extra. Start with ~3g per 6 gallon batch and give it a couple weeks to integrate. If not sufficient at that time, you can add another 3 or 4g.

For my taste, the 10L grape skin kits need tannins. With a little age, they are tasty by themselves but disappear with food. Adding extra tannins improves them greatly. I also have added a little extra oak but I really appreciate oak in my reds.

After making those tweaks, I find these wines quite enjoyable at about 6 months in the bottle and quite good at a year. They won't compete with Winery Series or Showcase kits but they will always have a place in my cellar. The one I enjoy the most these days is the WE World Vineyard Aussie GSM with grape skins. It is $99 from Brew and Wine Supply (sponsor). Add 3 oz oak cubes and a little tannin and you have a very nice every day red.

Back