RJ Spagnols Grand Cru Gewurtzraminer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just started this kit last week. I noticed the instructions say to leave it in the primary bucket until approximately day 14, or when SG is .996 or less, then transfer to carboy and stabilize.

Just wondering if there is a reason to leave it in Primary this long? I usually try to transfer to the carboy as soon as it's around 1.020 or 1.010, to avoid any flies etc. creeping into the primary.

Thanks!

It allows for more sediment to remain in the primary and out of your secondary. I wouldn't worry about the number of days, just pay attention to your hydrometer readings.
For me, I would transfer to secondary until somewhere below 1.000.

I've made that kit twice in the last year (yeah, we like it) and pretty much followed the directions. I waited until the SG went to .998 to rack, but it didn't take 14 days (more like 10-12). By the time I did the first racking the top 1-2" was already starting to show signs of clearing naturally.

I split my batch into two 3 gal carboys. One I left completely dry and the other I back sweetened slightly. After stabilization and sweetening I only left these sit in carboys for 6 weeks before bottling. They were good fresh but are really coming around after a few months in the bottle. The first batch is down to 3 bottles and then it's on to #2.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back