grafting vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Thinking to next year.

I have recently harvested my Alverino, Verdelho and American Tinte grapes. The Verdelho have had a low yield this year, and are prone to Downy Mildew. The previous owner explained to me he has been thinking about removing the Verdelho grapes, and replacing them with something else for some years. Grafting American Tinte cuttings onto the Verdelho vines was suggested as a cheap solution. When is the best time to do this, and how long would it take for the grafted vines to become viable and produce grapes.?

What is the best way to graft vines ?

the best time to graft is in the spring just about when the sap starts running. grapes for the graft should be viable in the second year as all of the root growth should be completed from the basic crape. cuttings can be obtained from the spring pruning. there are various methods. bud grafting and cleft grafting are two. it depends on the size of the reviving grape spur. I would research both and see which one you maybe comfortable with. In some cases the grape is cut about 15 inches above ground and a cleft graft or a graft similar to a cleft graft. Having said all that I tried for two years to graft my grapes and did not have any good luck and I tried various methods,

the best time to graft is in the spring just about when the sap starts running. grapes for the graft should be viable in the second year as all of the root growth should be completed from the basic crape. cuttings can be obtained from the spring pruning. there are various methods. bud grafting and cleft grafting are two. it depends on the size of the reviving grape spur. I would research both and see which one you maybe comfortable with. In some cases the grape is cut about 15 inches above ground and a cleft graft or a graft similar to a cleft graft. Having said all that I tried for two years to graft my grapes and did not have any good luck and I tried various methods,
Thanks, I will read up on grafting, I have nothing to lose with the Verdelho, as many vines yielded nothing, although the few that did, did very well.

Why do you think your grafting failed ? bad luck, or did you do something wrong?

I am assuming bad luck. the first year I tried bud grafting with two other friends helping me had zero take. the following year I did both bud and cleft grafting nothing again. for bud grafting the time to graft is based on the skin on the grape slipping which is just about bud break. not picking the right time I think was my problem.

Had the same bad experience trying to bud graft this past spring - think i started a little too early

Back