Grafted Norton?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
The supplier I am using for my new vineyard just notified me that they only have about 60% of my original requested number of Norton vines. They are offering to substitute Norton grafted on 1103P or 101-14.

It would seem to me that in my location (Missouri) it just makes more sense to use Norton on its own roots. But I don't really know, and I'm surely not familiar with the rootstock mentioned.

Thoughts from anyone?

Im new to Norton myself, i just put in 30 vines last year, 2 of which died. I was told AFTER i ordered that the only way you want norton is grafted. All of mine are own root.

We will see...

I will add that I have secured the remainder of the vines I need from another grower.

One guy (not the grower I ultimately bought from) told me he can't propagate enough Norton. They are hard to root, and he would sell 50,000 vines every year if he could propagate that many. He also said that several years ago, everyone wanted grafted Norton and because he didn't graft, he couldn't sell his...literally ended up burning them...and now everyone has moved back to non-grafted and he is back to wait-listing people.

I'm just speculating, but I wonder if the idea behind grafting is to reduce vigor. A large grower near me has thinned his Norton to every 16 feet because they are so vigorous.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back