Got out The Beast to till a garden for first time in over a DECADE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
I wish we could post videos, cuz in this one, it's RUNNING! After sitting in my barn for well over 10 years, I cleaned out the fuel screen in the tank of this 1974 IH Cub Cadet, aired the tires, put new gas and a new battery in, and cranked her right up. A barn find in my OWN barn! 🤣 It never was much of a looker, but I've only got $200 in it and it sure did throw the dirt back in the day. It used to get a workout every spring and fall when we had two huge gardens every year. Thought I'd till up a new spot, so I fired it up Friday after work, did a bit of work on it, then triple-tilled the new ground on Saturday. Waiting on my Obsession sweet corn seed to arrive and then I'll do one or two more passes to till in some urea and with any luck, that spot will be Blue Lake bush beans and corn.

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 11.44.03 AM.png

Wish I could see the prices at that gas station behind your rig. Bet they would almost astound you now. Arne.

I wish we could post videos, cuz in this one, it's RUNNING! After sitting in my barn for well over 10 years, I cleaned out the fuel screen in the tank of this 1974 IH Cub Cadet, aired the tires, put new gas and a new battery in, and cranked her right up. A barn find in my OWN barn! 🤣 It never was much of a looker, but I've only got $200 in it and it sure did throw the dirt back in the day. It used to get a workout every spring and fall when we had two huge gardens every year. Thought I'd till up a new spot, so I fired it up Friday after work, did a bit of work on it, then triple-tilled the new ground on Saturday. Waiting on my Obsession sweet corn seed to arrive and then I'll do one or two more passes to till in some urea and with any luck, that spot will be Blue Lake bush beans and corn.
My Cub Cadet is about 15 years old. I recently looked at some new models and was shocked and disappointed. If I ever have to replace it I'll definitely buy used and the older the better.

I do appreciate those old machines. Owned a couple of old fords (NAA) years ago. Great machines but not geared low enough to till with. Then bought a modern compact tractor to help me get more stuff done. There’s a lot to be said for a front end loader, power steering and brakes.

I do appreciate those old machines. Owned a couple of old fords (NAA) years ago. Great machines but not geared low enough to till with. Then bought a modern compact tractor to help me get more stuff done. There’s a lot to be said for a front end loader, power steering and brakes.

This one is hydro, the perfect transmission for tilling, and it does have brakes. I have a full-size tractor with loader tin addition to a half-dozen IH Cub Cadets with various roles on the farm. I have sold off a stockpile of garden tractor loaders I accumulated but kept one, a Kwik-Way, for a power-steering Cub Cadet I want to mount it on someday. Just need the time to put it together. In tight quarters or in a yard, the smaller size is a big advantage. And they WORK like crazy! On the 1960s models, you can count all the rubber or plastic parts on fewer than 10 fingers, including the 4 tires!

I knew you had a bunch of equipment. I only have 5 acres so even my 25hp Branson is kind of overkill. But it keeps me off the streets.

I was into buying and selling antique IH Cub Cadet garden tractors and parts for quite a few years. What I have now are the leftovers. I still have a 24 x 30 building full of parts to sell for fun money after I retire, and I've never mowed my grass with anything that cost me over $300. Went by some Bad Boy Zero Turns at Rural King the other day, had $18,000+ tags on them. Whoa. And ya can't till or spray with 'em.

grill007.jpg

Couple other loads...

cubs.jpg

jimload2.jpg

This one is hydro, the perfect transmission for tilling

Some difference of opinion on that. Worthy of debate. Should not be left with only a simple declarative statement. :cool:

https://agriculture.papemachinery.com/blog/choosing-a-transmission-hydrostatic-vs-manual
https://upgradedhome.com/hydrostatic-vs-manual-transmission-on-a-lawn-tractor/
https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/85821-tilling-with-a-hydro/
Etc. (Plenty more differences of opinion can be found at your favorite search engine).

Last edited:
I was into buying and selling antique IH Cub Cadet garden tractors and parts for quite a few years. What I have now are the leftovers. I still have a 24 x 30 building full of parts to sell for fun money after I retire, and I've never mowed my grass with anything that cost me over $300. Went by some Bad Boy Zero Turns at Rural King the other day, had $18,000+ tags on them. Whoa. And ya can't till or spray with 'em.

View attachment 87869

Couple other loads...

View attachment 87870

View attachment 87871
That's living dangerously (in the 1st pic). You should mount a cup holder on that thing. Nobody drives good enough to balance that Bud Light on the sprayer tank!

That's living dangerously (in the 1st pic). You should mount a cup holder on that thing. Nobody drives good enough to balance that Bud Light on the sprayer tank!

I had just finished fabbing up the tank carrier and set the beer there to take the pic. It was years ago and I still use it. That thing has been great!

I had just finished fabbing up the tank carrier and set the beer there to take the pic. It was years ago and I still use it. That thing has been great!
Can you spray while driving or do you use the carrier just to move the tank to the next spot (guess you'd have to put the beer down due to the lack of hands)?

Latest posts

Back