Got my new Cab Sav Grapes today... more to follow

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
I ordered some Cab Sav Grapes from Idaho about a month ago. Well the local brew shop called today and informed me they were there. A farmer in Idaho brings them down. I ordered 100lbs of Cab Sav. By the time I got there they had run them through the destemmer/crusher.

I filled up my 14 gallon rubbermaid container and went home to work. I realized the container would not fit into my fridge... you see, I want to do a cold maceration with them. So I ran to Wally world and got three separate containers that will fit into my fridge.

I pulled out the grapes/must (now) and separated them, pulled out extra stems and leafs that made it through. Measured the Brix with my refractometer (24.6) and the PH with my PH meter (3.49).

I did not have a current TA test so I did not run one. I figure I can pick on up this week and see where they are... Speaking of, isn't there some formula if you know the PH? to figure out TA?

And I tasted one, taste very peculiar, much different than a table grape. I noticed the seeds were brown (which I've read is an indicator that the grapes were ripe).

I figure I'll punch the cap down a few times a day for the next six days, then I'll pitch the yeast. I'm thinking a RC212 will do well for this batch.

I'm super excited. I took a few pictures once I got the grapes home. As soon as I have them on my computer I'll post a few.

now, let the advice flow!

Cheers,
Ryan

rshosted said:
I did not have a current TA test so I did not run one. I figure I can pick on up this week and see where they are... Speaking of, isn't there some formula if you know the PH? to figure out TA?

While those two test are interrelated, they are not testing the same thing. To convert accurately you would need to know the amount of each acid, tartaric, malic,citric, sulfuric in your must, as each has a different molecular weight, equaling a different amount of hydrogen ions. T.A., or Titratable acidity refers to the amount of acid in a solution, while pH, potential of hydrogen,relates to the strength of the acid in your solution.

Wow, those are great numbers for a Cab! Your PH is near perfect as well as the brix. You could also have used ice bombs (plastic bottles filled with ice) to keep the temps down into the 50s for a few days. RC212 is a good choice of yeast. You might also want to add pectic enzyme now to break down the walls on the skins a little more. OptiRed will also help if you can source it (also an enzyme for color and phenol extraction and mouthfeel).

With RC212 don't forget to add yeast nutrient or they can create H2S pretty quick. I usually add it in 3rds of a dose on day 1, 3, and 5, or 25 brix, 16 brix and 5 brix. Depending on your TA, you might also want to make sure you keep SO2 levels low so you can do MLF, which is standard on most cabs.

Good luck with this. I'm very envious!

Those numbers certainly are good. I expect the TA would also be good. I think the formula you are thinking of is for just general ripeness, suitability to pick - pH squaredx brix = 200 or higher. The easiest way is to use your pH meter with an acid test kit to get an accurate TA.

Don't expect much cap to form with it refrigerated. The cap rises as it ferments from the gasses floating solids to the top. You can certainly stir it several times a day though along with pectic enzyme to aid in color and flavor extraction. You should be able to make a good one out of those grapes. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back