got apples now what

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine

Reaction score
I got 7 big bags of apples today ( free ) have no crusher so what is the best way the make wine from the apples , you know get the juice out

I got 7 big bags of apples today ( free ) have no crusher so what is the best way the make wine from the apples , you know get the juice out

I always freeze them in buckets ( till they are completely frozen ) after a quick wash - then start to thaw the apples in the buckets - If you have a crusher great - but if not they will literally crush by your own hand pressure. Check your hydrometer reading and I go by Jack keller recipe from there.

I suggest placing a piece of pipe with holes wrapped in nylon bag to remove the free flow juice - check my facebook page for more details.

I hope that helps -

I use a cutter to remove the core & seeds, then freeze them. The cutter makes wedge shaped pieces and has a round section in the middle for the core, which was originally obtained for eating apple slices dipped in caramel for snacks but works great for this. I bought a press, which I use for cranberries as well, but still a lot of work. You might find someone in your area, local grower, that has a press for apple juice you could talk into doing it for you.

Guess I'm the odd ball. I core the apples then mince in a food processor & ferment. After 7 ish days I pour into another fermentor with a straining bag secured to the rim. I then squeeze the bag until I can't get anymore juice out of it. Ferment open until SG 1.005 ish. Then put into carboy under air lock. This method will produce a lot of lees, so a little extra racking will be needed. Been doing it this way for 8 years now, great Apple wine. Roy

I sliced mine thin. With Pectin Enzyme there was very little left of the apples by the time I moved all to a carboy.

I used a combination of the montana wine guy and ftc methods as I found in the Luc Volders blog. Worked great. Freezing and pectic enzyme are nice for small scale.

now I know why she GAVE THEM to me , they were full of worms , I had to get red of them not her

Latest posts

Back