Gooseberry Norton combo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermenter

Reaction score
Any comments about mixing 5 pounds of Gooseberries with my typical harvest of 30 pounds of Norton grapes. Yes my vineyard is small.

if it might taste good do it, after all the only opinions that matter is yours, oops unless you have a better half, if so only her opinion matters :h
Dawg
The gooseberries don't have very much flavor so shouldn't effect the taste too much. It will be interesting to taste the results. I do like experimenting even if things don't always work. Yes the better half is the final judge.

The gooseberries don't have very much flavor so shouldn't effect the taste too much. It will be interesting to taste the results. I do like experimenting even if things don't always work. Yes the better half is the final judge.
If as you say Gooseberries don't have much flavour, how come most so called professional wine experts reckon they taste Gooseberries in Sauvignon Blanc? ;)

At least my gooseberrys don't have much flavor. Also my taste buds aren't the best. The flavor notes a lot of wines claim I never get.

green have a light fruity note, on target pH and a high TA (3.1% this year) some of the red varieties have more flavor.
At least my gooseberrys don't have much flavor. Also my taste buds aren't the best. The flavor notes a lot of wines claim I never get.
I am not a purist winemaker, so I blend frequently. This years gooseberry is the acid backbone in a watermelon.

What is the usual pH level in gooseberrys? My Norton must normally could use a lower pH.
2018 . . . 2.75 first year I picked, possibly too green
2019 . . . 3.07
2020 . . . 3.44 and some I left longer to get more blush color/ fruity flavor 3.49
, , , , , I have not hunted literature to find a normal range , , , , ,
joustaberry which is a cross of gooseberry and black currant (ribus family’s)
2013 . . 2.82
2014 . . 2.89
2015 . . 2.97
2016 . . 3.12
2018 . . 2.84
2019 . . 2.93
2020 . . 2.95
conclusion on my part lower pH if picked green, also less thick pectic with early picking

The point I was making was that Gooseberries do have flavour, depending on when you pick them. As with grapes there are lots of different varieties and colours. Quite a few have been bred as desert types, very sweet. The trouble is that most recipes call for green gooseberries, that's when they are usually under ripe. Fine if you like them that way!
I do agree with you about the flavours in wines. It's easier to pretend and say what is expected than to admit you can't taste them. Not for you perhaps, not for me, but an EXPERT, OOhhhh! :rolleyes:o_O

Latest posts

Back