Goodbye Stephan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am sure that all of you have already heard that Stephan Hawking has passed away on Wednesday.

It is so rare to have a mind that changes our perception of the world around us. No doubt we will not see the likes of him anytime soon.

As a side note: I could not help but notice that his Obit was right next to the article titled "Bikini clad Ashley hits the beach for sexy new swimsuit". <Sigh> Funny how we can see two extreme ends of the human spectrum so close together.

Goodbye Mr. Hawking. Thanks for explaining things to us.

Yes. Very sad. But since he was not even expected to live beyond age 25, his life and work really is actually a triumph in so many ways. And something that so many people can look up too. He was one of my heroes.

Side note: I read about his death at the NY Times. One of the news sites I directly visit each morning. There were no trashy side articles there. Just saying.

Last edited:
Stephen Hawking dies: Scientist's most memorable quotes
He was trapped in his own body by motor neurone disease, but that did not stop Prof Stephen Hawking help us all get an understanding of the universe.
The world renowned physicist has died at the age of 76, leaving the world memorable words on a host of subjects.
Wheelchair-bound and largely unable to speak, most of them were delivered through his famous voice synthesiser. From the reasons for the universe's existence to the downside of fame, here are some of his pearls of wisdom:

On black holes: "Einstein was wrong when he said, 'God does not play dice'. Consideration of black holes suggests, not only that God does play dice, but that he sometimes confuses us by throwing them where they can't be seen" - The Nature Of Space And Time, published 1996

On the reason why the universe exists: "If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we would know the mind of God" - A Brief History Of Time, published 1988

On God: "It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going" - The Grand Design, published 2010

On humanity: "We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special" - Interview in Der Spiegel, October 1988

On commercial success: "I want my books sold on airport bookstalls"- Interview in the New York Times, December 2004

On life: "One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away" - Interview with ABC's Diane Sawyer, June 2010

On fame: "The downside of my celebrity is that I cannot go anywhere in the world without being recognised. It is not enough for me to wear dark sunglasses and a wig. The wheelchair gives me away" - Interview on Israeli TV, December 2006

On living with a disability: "My advice to other disabled people would be, concentrate on things your disability doesn't prevent you doing well, and don't regret the things it interferes with. Don't be disabled in spirit, as well as physically" - Interview in the New York Times, May 2011

On an imperfect world: "Without imperfection, you or I would not exist" - On Into The Universe With Stephen Hawking, the Discovery Channel, 2010

On staying cheerful: "Life would be tragic if it weren't funny" - Interview in the New York Times, December 2004

On euthanasia: "The victim should have the right to end his life, if he wants. But I think it would be a great mistake. However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. While there's life, there is hope"- Quoted in People's Daily Online, June 2006

On artificial intelligence: "The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race. It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate... Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn't compete, and would be superseded" - Interview with the BBC, December 2014

On the possibility of contact between humans and aliens: "I think it would be a disaster. The extraterrestrials would probably be far in advance of us. The history of advanced races meeting more primitive people on this planet is not very happy, and they were the same species. I think we should keep our heads low" - In Naked Science: Alien Contact, the National Geographic Channel, 2004

On space colonies: "I don't think the human race will survive the next 1,000 years, unless we spread into space. There are too many accidents that can befall life on a single planet. But I'm an optimist. We will reach out to the stars" - Interview in the Daily Telegraph, October 2001

On the end of the universe: ""It will take about a thousand million million million million years for the Earth to run into the sun, so there's no immediate cause for worry!" - A Brief History Of Time, published 1988

On being diagnosed with motor neurone disease: "My expectations were reduced to zero when I was 21. Everything since then has been a bonus" - Interview in the New York Times, December 2004

On death: "I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I'm not afraid of death, but I'm in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first." - Interview in the Guardian, May 2011”

And my personal favorite -“the greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance- it is the illusion of knowledge.”

One of my colleagues did his PhD under Hawking. For a theoretical physicist, my colleague is pretty handy (he makes fine furniture, dabbles in electronics, etc.). He told me that while he was working with Hawking, as his health deteriorated, my colleague put together a prototype of the speech synthesizer that later became famous!

Last edited:
One of my colleagues did his PhD under Hawking. For a theoretical physicist, my colleague is pretty handy (he makes fine furniture, dabbles in electronics, etc.). He told me that while he was working with Hawking, as his health deteriorated, my colleague put together a prototype of the speech synthesizer that later became famous!

I have often heard that the very first one was made by gutting a "Speak-n-Spell" toy. Is that true?

I have often heard that the very first one was made by gutting a "Speak-n-Spell" toy. Is that true?

I am afraid that I do not know. My colleague (whom I am not in contact with at the moment) referenced hitting up the electronics bin at MIT on a visit back to his undergrad alma mater.

I must admit that I am fuzzy on something. It is possible that it was not his speech synthesizer my friend worked on, but his interface to the keyboard. This article I just found makes it seem like perhaps I was mistaken about the speech part: https://mashable.com/2018/03/14/stephen-hawking-voice-origin-story/#1_CcO96X0PqS

For me one of the most memorable aspects of Hawking - the fellow who reshaped our understanding of gravity - is the joy he expressed when he experienced a few seconds of weightlessness unencumbered by his wheelchair and his physical condition.

Latest posts

Back