Goodbye and Godspeed Neil

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We lost a true american hero on Saturday.

Neil Armstrong, the first man to step foot on the moon, died at 82 due to complications in his recent quadurple bypass.

I feel the need to say what noone seems to be saying. A true American hero passes, and all the media can talk about is Snookie's baby.

Did you guys get that? A half witted, ugly, classless, wench gets better press then Neil Armstrong? What does this say to our kids???????

Where is the fitting tribute? They haven't even lowered flags to half-staf.

Neil served with distinction during the Korean conflict. He was on of only a few civilian test pilots that contributed greatly to our military stength during the bleakest days of the cold war. He was personally responsible for testing over 200 different military aircraft.

During Project Gemini, Neil was seconds away from death when his capsule spun out of control after the worlds first docking in space. It was only his quick thinking that saved himself, his co-pilot, and the space program,

During training for apollo, Niel was piloting the LLRV (or flying beadstead). This contraption was a large jet engine pointed at the ground to simulate lunar landing (while on earth). The thing was very unstable. Neil ejected from this vehicle just a split second before it crashed, avoiding certian death. He went back to the office that day. His piers in the astronaut corps were amazed to find out just how close he came to death in the morning, and act like nothing happened in the afternoon. To say the man was unflappable is an understatement.

When asked about his upcomming first attempt to land on the moon, and what he thought his chances were, Neil responded that he felt that he had a 30% chance of making it, a 30% chance of not making it and returning to earth alive, and a 30% chance of a death in space.

During the moon landing, Neil took manual control of his spacecraft when he noticed that the guidence computer was sending him into a field of bolders. After some white knuckled maneuvering, he set the lander down with only 16 seonds of fuel remaining. 16 seconds, the same amount of time it takes the average person to take two breaths. After all of that, the unflappable Neil Armstrong calmly called to Houston..... "Tranquility base here, the eagle has landed." without even a hint of stress.

Neil was fully aware of the dangers that came with the job. The odds were that he would not survive to retirement. However, Neil realized that he was contributing to something greater than himself. Something he felt worth risking his own life for. Through it all, and in the end, Neil never capitalized on his fame. He was decidedly low key about it and never wanted to divert attention from others simply because he was the first.

You see these qualities in heros. Just look at policemen, firemen, nurses, and active military. Much like Neil, they too believe in something greater then themselves. Much like Neil, they take a back seat to Snookie.

Last edited:
No apology necessary, John. We lost a true hero Saturday. The fact that it wasn't given more coverage (at least relative to loser reality stars) is a sad statement about our media and our values as a society in general. I can only hope that the level of coverage is due to the fact that it's the way Armstrong would have wanted it. Wishful thinking...

Most of us were not alive when Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Ty Cobb, etc played - but we all know the impact they had on Baseball..

I was not alive when Neil landed on the moon - but come on - walking on the moon!! It is part of our history - it is taught to us.

I just don't buy it that the younger generation has no clue who Neil Armstrong is are the impact it had - when 1 out of 12 people have done this and to be the first!!

In society today - more people would rather follow reality star updates and twitter - that is why the coverage for Neil was lower - ratings...

Just my opinion - not trying to be confrontational - please take this with a grain of salt...

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with age or generation. My 8 year old son was the first one to find out about Neil Armstrong on Saturday and he informed us of the news. I was amazed by how much he knew about Armstrong and how he cared about the subject. It has more to do with an individual's interests than it does with the age. I'm glad to know that my 8 year old is more interested in history than reality TV stars. I just hope it stays that way as he gets older and more exposed to the crap on TV these days.

Personally I believe that Neil would rather have been left to slip away without all of the press and media. I cant say that I knew the man however if he was selfless and a true hero (which I believe he was) he would have rather had the media be drawn to something as pointless as a new Hollywood baby and allow him to pass in peace, being remembered by is life's actions and not by his passing.
Just my two cents worth.
Those who choose to honer, respect and reflect, will do so to great lengths and those who choose not too, never will, no matter how much media coverage he receives.

With all respects to Neil Armstrong, a truly selfless man, none of the new generation can understand how great he was.

Sadly, mentioning "Snookie" and Neil Armstrong in the same paragraph, I think you're right.

Sorry to sound hasty to all, let me explain my frustration in a much nicer way.
1. I don't follow aerospace stars.
2. I don't follow snookie.
3. I HATE being grouped with the other kids my age. I cannot stand when people talk about a failing generation, when I myself have worked for everything I've got in life and will continue to work hard until the day I die. I care about the people close to me, and learn the things I want to learn. I have no interest whatsoever in space or whatever rover we have on mars now. Please don't be offended but I don't understand the significance of Neil armstrong, nor will I ever because in my childhood space wasn't something to just look at, it's always been something that people have been going to (yes I understand this was because of Neil) but I just have no interest in learning more. I'm sorry if I've made some of you mad by stating my opinion, I just get really fired up when people rag on a group of people as a scapegoat, especially when I'm included in that group. "You must not lose hope in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty." -Mahatma Gandi

I understand where you are coming from - the posts above were not questioning your values. Everybody has different interests - there is nothing wrong with that.

None of can say how awesome Babe Ruth was or how people felt when Neil walked on the moon. But we can tell by books written or the stories told or by the records they have accomplished - that is how us younger folks understand the impact it had.

The intent was to not generalize you with a group of folks - if you felt that way I apologize. After all I am part of the younger generation as well.

The point behind my post was more about how the media/news rely more on ratings - covering snookie - b/c younger kids follow Jersey Shore. Just sad that an american hero didn't get a proper farewell..

Anywho - remember these are all opinions - and my grandfather always told me opinions are like ***holes - everybody has one :)

We lost a true american hero on Saturday.

Neil Armstrong, the first man to step foot on the moon, died at 82 due to complications in his recent quadurple bypass.

I feel the need to say what noone seems to be saying. A true American hero passes, and all the media can talk about is Snookie's baby.

Did you guys get that? A half witted, ugly, classless, wench gets better press then Neil Armstrong? What does this say to our kids???????

Where is the fitting tribute? They haven't even lowered flags to half-staf.

Its unfortunate the Media will focus on what gets them the most attention from the public... 100% of the time.

You are incorrect about the Flag detail.. we are flying at mass on Firday. We are currently flying at half mass for another fallen hero.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ma-orders-flags-at-half-staff-for-armstrong/1

Guys,

My anger is more with the media. It seems like they are the ones that decide what is news.

An even sadder aspect is that NBC called him Neil Young when they first broke the news!

This is the media. They estate that shapes our minds and tells us what to like, how to live, and who to vote for. Snookie is more important than Neil Armstrong.

I have the upmost faith in the younger generation. I have seen where my nieces and nephews have much better heads than I did (back in the day). It is the media that is getting out of hand.

I do have to say that if you know who Snookie is, and have never even heard of Neil Armstrong, then it goes to show just how badly you education tax dollar was spent!

Neil worked hard to stay low key and that was a genuine desire. However, I remember the following old adage: Some are born great, and others have greatness thurst upon them.

Guys,

My anger is more with the media. It seems like they are the ones that decide what is news.

An even sadder aspect is that NBC called him Neil Young when they first broke the news!

This is the media. They estate that shapes our minds and tells us what to like, how to live, and who to vote for. Snookie is more important than Neil Armstrong.

I have the upmost faith in the younger generation. I have seen where my nieces and nephews have much better heads than I did (back in the day). It is the media that is getting out of hand.

I do have to say that if you know who Snookie is, and have never even heard of Neil Armstrong, then it goes to show just how badly you education tax dollar was spent!

Neil worked hard to stay low key and that was a genuine desire. However, I remember the following old adage: Some are born great, and others have greatness thurst upon them.
John, I couldn't agree more with you. The media of modern culture stinks. It has had so much to do with the political world as well as a change in entertainment.

Back