Good source for small quantity of corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettanomyces

Reaction score
This is already a well discussed topic, but it seems the postings on this aspect of it are old, so I figured I'd ask again.

I'm making some Eclipse red kits, the kind I'd like to be able to set a few bottles aside from for up to 5 years, or maybe even more. At the same time, there's no way I can use 1,000 corks before they get old, and I currently do not have anyone locally that wants to split with me.

What are my options? Morewine sells Grade 3 corks in batches of 100, which would be ideal for me. What's the consensus on the quality of these versus the Lafitte ones that are popular around here? https://morewinemaking.com/products/wine-corks-1-34-grade-3.html

Are there other good options? I want quality & longevity, somewhere around 100-250 total corks, and a decent price if possible. What are my options?

This is already a well discussed topic, but it seems the postings on this aspect of it are old, so I figured I'd ask again.

I'm making some Eclipse red kits, the kind I'd like to be able to set a few bottles aside from for up to 5 years, or maybe even more. At the same time, there's no way I can use 1,000 corks before they get old, and I currently do not have anyone locally that wants to split with me.

What are my options? Morewine sells Grade 3 corks in batches of 100, which would be ideal for me. What's the consensus on the quality of these versus the Lafitte ones that are popular around here? https://morewinemaking.com/products/wine-corks-1-34-grade-3.html

Are there other good options? I want quality & longevity, somewhere around 100-250 total corks, and a decent price if possible. What are my options?

Those are pretty nice corks, I wouldn’t think twice about using them.

Morewine sells Grade 3 corks in batches of 100, which would be ideal for me.
As an industry person who had to compare closures the answer was to use plastic/ nomec corks and not worry about longevity, TCA, screw top image, recorking when they are 10 years old . .

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll look into the nomacorks again, but I have a "Portuguese" style corker with the plastic jaws. I seem to remember hearing several tales of people having difficulty with that combination. I don't really want to shell out for a new corker.

I have always used a Portuguese corker and never had a problem.

Perhaps the nomacorc manufacturing has changed over the years. There are tons of people talking about creases and leaks a number of years ago.

Would be nice. Some of these new normacorc products seem super tempting.

Thanks guys. I'll look into the nomacorks again, but I have a "Portuguese" style corker with the plastic jaws. I seem to remember hearing several tales of people having difficulty with that combination.
Have not had an issue with a vacuum push style or a double lever corker, , , that said I rinse in sulphite which natural cork does not permit and it may help lubricate the cork.
As jumbo notes it is nice to store upright, , , & avoid building a wine rack.

The other thing you could try is sharing a batch of Lafitte corks. I pay a lot less than 64 cents at Lafitte for higher quality corks. When I order 1000 corks, they’re packed into 4 bags of 250, I’ve kept them for a few years with no issues. If you had a couple buddies to split a batch with...............

I just last week bought 100 #9 1 3/4” extra first grade natural cork corks for the first several of 11 6 gallon batches of red from EC Kraus. I’m going to need a couple hundred more but they shipped these to me free for a total of $64.60.

Off topic- check my post in the Bottle, Label, and Corks section about the necessity of storing wines on their side is a myth.

@Brettanomyces , I just did my first corking ever so I'm on expert. But, I had some 7 year old mead that I wanted a good cork for and I selected the #3 cork that you linked to. I've got a few other grades/brands here and in comparison the #3's are much "cleaner" looking in not nearly as much dark streaks and specks and seemingly a smoother surface. They worked nicely with my Portuguese floor corker. Just thought I'd throw this in, even though a bit late to the party. :)

Interesting discussion.

I can buy corks in 100 or 1000 lots. Bought 200 high quality natural corks recently (two 100 bags) at $14 for a bag. And that included the local punishing 27% VAT tax. Of course, I live in Europe, where they harvest natural corks. So just wondering how much the local US market is getting gouged by local US resellers.

Latest posts

Back