Good source for oak spirals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HanksHill

Reaction score
Anyone have a good source for French Oak spirals that will sell in higher quantities (hopefully for a better per-piece price). I know 1 spiral is good for oaking about 5-6 gallons of wine, but I'm doing 20-25 gallon batches in stainless so would need 4 or so in each tank. I've never used them before but they seem to be considered superior to chips. Also wondering if I could put a little piece of fishing line around them and pull them out through the bung instead of racking off, like you have to do with chips?

I haven't come across anyone (so far) that gives a discount for buying spirals in larger quantities. So far I've got mine from amazon, ebay, morewinemaking.com -- based on searching for best pricing at the time needed.

I haven't used fishing line - should be fine, as long as, everything gets sanitized.

Good luck and Cheers!

Anyone have a good source for French Oak spirals that will sell in higher quantities (hopefully for a better per-piece price). I know 1 spiral is good for oaking about 5-6 gallons of wine, but I'm doing 20-25 gallon batches in stainless so would need 4 or so in each tank. I've never used them before but they seem to be considered superior to chips. Also wondering if I could put a little piece of fishing line around them and pull them out through the bung instead of racking off, like you have to do with chips?
Folks use nylon fishing line to retrieve spirals and staves from their wine.

I use cubes as the surface area is more consistent than chips, they are more configurable in terms of quantity than spirals and staves, and are a lot cheaper. The drawback is it's a lot harder to remove them, although I've seen stainless steel perforated cylinders advertised. When I add cubes, they stay in the wine until I need to rack typically 3 to 12 months.

I've read here and elsewehre that nothing beats the spirals for its ability to impart oak flavor. I've tried sticks and cubes. I feel that the spirals are best.

I don’t know the prices for the oak spirals but labelpellers.com. They are cheaper than Amazon. Where they get you is the shipping, but if you’re looking to buy many units I’m sure you can calculate the shipping which seems to be a fixed rate. If you extrapolate it out to where you come out ahead per unit instead of buying from Amazon it might be worthwhile.

https://labelpeelers.com/search.php?search_query=French+oak+spiral

Latest posts

Back