good or bad idea?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stdkls28

Winemakin Texan
Reaction score
I am going to add an F-PAC to my Apricot wine but the local farmers market doesn't have any Apricots...so i was wondering what y'all thought about making my F-PAC with their peaches or should i just go to the grocery story and pick up some Apricots there?

In my opinion, if you are shooting for an apricot wine, I would use apricots for the fpac. Using peaches may instill too much peach flavor to the wine and hide the flavor of the apricots.

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in soon.

I made an apricot/peach wine from a kit that was excellent. Adding peach as an f pack, I am not sure how it would blend out as Doug said. If it was mine, I would go for it.

My input....apricots if you can get them. Peaches could be strong unless you could add just a smidgeon to create that.....I know that flavor, what is that? Peaches yeah. I taste a hint of peaches.

Can you get canned apricots? If so pit them and simmer them with the syrup in the can. Strain and add. Yes it may have sulfites ot some preservative but, your not fermenting.
Maybe a health store? Or, apricot syrup..?

quick question...

About how many days/weeks is it for y'all usually between when you add the yeast and then you determine fermentation has concluded to add Sorbate/K-Meta? I'm speaking of my Apricot. I started 6/17 and have racked it from primary bucket to glass secondary fitted with airlock and again to another glass secondary. It's pretty clear now. I have my hydrometer but need the graduated cylinder so i may get my SG reading. Will be getting that tomorrow.

For me it depends - i usually add that in a week prior to adding fpac or backsweetening.

Once i go from primary -> secondary - it takes about a week to finish fermenting - then i check SG 3 days in a row to confirm.

Then i rack to age - i sometimes add the fpac and backsweeten at this time. If i don't have time to - then i just do it the next racking.

For me it depends - i usually add that in a week prior to adding fpac or backsweetening.

Once i go from primary -> secondary - it takes about a week to finish fermenting - then i check SG 3 days in a row to confirm.

Then i rack to age - i sometimes add the fpac and backsweeten at this time. If i don't have time to - then i just do it the next racking.

After checking SG and 3 day confirmination, you add the stabilizer and k-meta...then after maybe 3-4 weeks rack to age/add fpac correct?

After stabilization I have used fruit Jams and preserves. I dissolve them in a little water over the stove, add what sugar I need, Strain/filter, cool and then add to my wine.
Brad

After checking SG and 3 day confirmination, you add the stabilizer and k-meta...then after maybe 3-4 weeks rack to age/add fpac correct?

yeah - i rack and add the stabilizer and k-meta - then 3-4 weeks is plenty of time to rack and fpac.

Thanks for all the help guys! I have added my stabilizer and K-meta as directed and the FPAC too. After 24 hours added my Sparkolloid (Sunday evening) and yesterday (monday) the wine was very clear with a lot of loose sediment. Will wait 3-4 weeks for it to compact and rack.

Latest posts

Back