Good news, bad news...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bad news is that, due to business travel and bad timing on fruit delivery, I am going to miss our vintners club crush. That is, I had ordered 300# of Zin grapes, and I will have to give them up. (It looks like other club members are stepping up to buy my grapes, so I don't think I will be out too much money.)

The good news: The business travel is to Bordeaux! Gee, what a pity :)

As this was a late decision, I don't have too much planned. I am staying in the town of Bordeaux, and so far only have plans for the city. I will start looking into excursions to vineyards, but I will also be happy just to be in La Cité du Vin.

If anyone has any information or tips on visiting, please post it!

The bad news is that, due to business travel and bad timing on fruit delivery, I am going to miss our vintners club crush. That is, I had ordered 300# of Zin grapes, and I will have to give them up. (It looks like other club members are stepping up to buy my grapes, so I don't think I will be out too much money.)

The good news: The business travel is to Bordeaux! Gee, what a pity :)

As this was a late decision, I don't have too much planned. I am staying in the town of Bordeaux, and so far only have plans for the city. I will start looking into excursions to vineyards, but I will also be happy just to be in La Cité du Vin.

If anyone has any information or tips on visiting, please post it!
work trip… to Bordeaux? You wouldn’t perchance need an assistant would you? Because I know a guy 😂

Wellll, I didn't say it was MY business. My wife has an important business meeting there, and, well, I couldn't just let her travel alone, could I? :db

(Paul in Bordeaux, rolling over sleepily in bed as Wifie bustles around getting herself ready to take on that world):

"Go get 'em tiger! Knock 'em dead!"

(Snoring...)

🤣 🤣 🤣

I was there a couple years ago on my honeymoon. The easiest for us to be immersed in wine was to take a day trip to the town of St. Emillion. It may feel a tad touristy, but it is a unesco world heritage site after all. There are tons of vines (not sure to whom they belong) some tasting rooms (not sure about walk ins, but I think some took walk ins pre-covid), restaurants and tons of wine shops. When I was there, the shops had good collections of back vintages they would ship to the US for 50 bucks flat rate shipping per case.

You can get there by train (1/2 hour ish IIRC) from the city of Bordeaux. I think it's about a mile walk on a rural road from the train station to the town, though you're passing vinyards most of the way.

I was there a couple years ago on my honeymoon. The easiest for us to be immersed in wine was to take a day trip to the town of St. Emillion. It may feel a tad touristy, but it is a unesco world heritage site after all. There are tons of vines (not sure to whom they belong) some tasting rooms (not sure about walk ins, but I think some took walk ins pre-covid), restaurants and tons of wine shops. When I was there, the shops had good collections of back vintages they would ship to the US for 50 bucks flat rate shipping per case.

You can get there by train (1/2 hour ish IIRC) from the city of Bordeaux. I think it's about a mile walk on a rural road from the train station to the town, though you're passing vinyards most of the way.

Thank you for the info! I appreciate it.

Sorry, you won’t be at the crush Paul, thanks for the extra 50# of Zin! Have a good trip!

Wow, Cap Puncher, I did not realize you were "one of us" (WVA). That is great.

But no, thank YOU for taking 50# off my hands. But I know what you mean: Last year, I got to buy an extra 100# of Merlot under similar circumstances and was very happy about it.

Thank you, Andrew! (Is it okay to say your name "out loud"?) I am going to bottle that batch pretty soon.
Oh, it’s cool! I bottled a Bordeaux Blend (red mountain merlot and rattlesnake hills cab sav)earlier this summer, the Olivelet Lane Chard, last week, and need to bottle the straight rattlesnake hills cab sav very soon. Those are some of the best wines I’ve ever made. Maybe this spring I’ll try to organize another!

Oh, it’s cool! I bottled a Bordeaux Blend (red mountain merlot and rattlesnake hills cab sav)earlier this summer, the Olivelet Lane Chard, last week, and need to bottle the straight rattlesnake hills cab sav very soon. Those are some of the best wines I’ve ever made. Maybe this spring I’ll try to organize another!

Nice! I made a 3-way (33/33/33) Bordeaux blend of 2019 Rattlesnake Hills Cab Sauv; 2020 Walla Walla Merlot; and 2020 Rattlesnake Hills Cab Franc.

Latest posts

Back