Good Morning 2021 Growing Season

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your Cab Franc looks just about a week ahead of mine, here to the north in Carroll County Maryland.
We appear to have dodged one last night (especially my more-tender Barbera), getting down to 33 overnight. Continual wind probably helped as well.

We had a heavy frost last night and the wind layed down it reached 28 degrees I'm on my 4 leaf in West Georgia USA will be walking my vineyard today this will be the second time this season a frost hit my vines

Ugh, it looks like it was colder last night than I thought it was going to be: 28F. Did a quick walkthrough on my lunch break and saw a good bit of frost damage on the hybrids though the Cab Franc looks ok.
580B3B54-2E51-47E7-8DC2-5DA40BDCD890.jpeg
8957CB9D-48BA-44E5-8429-8DCD7D1A6738.jpeg

Welcome to farming my vineyard has 80% frost damage this is the second time I have had damage this year. You can smell the frost damage
Sorry to hear it. Mine is about 40-50% damage on the hybrids (2/3 of my vineyard) and none on my Cab Franc. Looks like it’s going to be cold again tonight so we’ll see what happens.

This is my livelihood that grew from a hobby my retirement job! Love every day not in a classroom I like my outside classroom
It’s definitely an outdoor classroom.
2017 - I learned about black rot and Japanese beetles
2018 - I learned about suffocating rains
2019 - I learned about hornworm caterpillars
2020 - I learned about downy mildew and grape cane girdlers
2021 - I’ve learned about frost and can’t wait to see what else!

It’s definitely an outdoor classroom.
2017 - I learned about black rot and Japanese beetles
2018 - I learned about suffocating rains
2019 - I learned about hornworm caterpillars
2020 - I learned about downy mildew and grape cane girdlers
2021 - I’ve learned about frost and can’t wait to see what else!
Welcome to farming!

We are doing our first suckering pass here in Nor Cal, head trained Cab Franc.
Gorgeous. I can almost hear the contentment of those happy vines from 2300 miles away. I’ll never stop being jealous of you west coast guys. I’m originally from there myself and my father lives probably not too far from you in Rocklin but I ended up in Virginia for work so get to fight the full spectrum of rots, mildews, bugs, and frost while dreaming of California growing conditions! 😊

Just curious... what happens after frost/cold damage? Does the growth & harvest just get pushed back a couple of weeks or does the vine produce little or no fruit that year? My vineyard's in its second year now in the north east (RI) and have not yet experienced any cold damage (to greenery). We've experienced a little winter dormant damage but they are young plants and expected it.

Just curious... what happens after frost/cold damage? Does the growth & harvest just get pushed back a couple of weeks or does the vine produce little or no fruit that year? My vineyard's in its second year now in the north east (RI) and have not yet experienced any cold damage (to greenery). We've experienced a little winter dormant damage but they are young plants and expected it.
This is my first year with frost so I’ll have a better sense of what will happen in my particular vineyard later in the season but my understanding is it depends on the variety and how fruitful their secondary and tertiary buds are. What I’ve read says that Marquette tends to have fruitful secondary buds so I’m hopeful that I’ll still get a decent crop this year. Other varieties can have less or unfruitful secondary and tertiary buds and may not set a crop if the primaries are damaged but can come back the following year if the new shoots are cared for. On a side note I thought this photo that President Macron tweeted a couple weeks ago of vignerons in France burning special candles to try to protect their vines from the frost was really interesting. They’re having a tough year there.
0B3D90BD-6E4E-4276-904D-1563B9DD9DBA.jpeg

Latest posts

Back