Good illustration of manual labor vs. capital equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I saw this video on YouTube and it reminded me of the story of two engineers, one American and one Chinese. The Chinese engineer was saying, "You Americans are wasteful and spend too much on capital equipment. If you want to tunnel through a mountain, you assemble all kinds of very expensive capital equipment and start to excavate. In China, we get 1000 Chinese on one side of the mountain and 1000 Chinese on the other side of the mountain and say, 'Dig!' When they meet, we have our tunnel!"
The American engineer thought about that and then asked, "What happens if they don't meet?"
The Chinese engineer smiled and said, "Then we have two tunnels!"

Hope someone doesn’t trip. I was in China In the 90’s discussing with a plant manager why he didn’t connect the various processes with conveyor. He said it was way cheaper to have a person, than the conveyor. I’m sure that has changed.

Last edited:
Impressive video. Love how it's referred to as a shed. Looks like a small barn to me.

Amazing teamwork, but could it be derailed by one little fart in the building?

John, with the number of people in the barn, the strain on the abs and the high fiber Amish diet, I would not be surprised if there weren't quite a few. It may have provided an impetus to get the job done!

Also, did anyone notice when they show the back of the barn, some of the people are walking backward?

Latest posts

Back