Good deal for you east coast guys!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thank you very much for posting this. He only had two and I got both of them.:try
My sister and brother in law live a little less than an hour from him and can pick them up this week and will bring them to me over the weekend.

It was funny earlier in the day I had been thinking about how I needed to find something in the 15-20 gallon range before juice season this fall.

Thanks again

They are waxed inside so I highly doubt you are going to get any oak flavor out of them at all or micro-oxygenation either as they are sealed. They will look nice though and you can still add oak to them.

They are waxed inside so I highly doubt you are going to get any oak flavor out of them at all or micro-oxygenation either as they are sealed. They will look nice though and you can still add oak to them.

Thats OK, I want to use them for whites just as he was.

OK, good! Was hoping you didnt miss that statement about being waxed.

Good im glad that someone on here will get good use out of them! I've got a couple years before i could use something that size. for now i think the five gal bb will suit my needs.

These barrels have been sitting with water in them for two weeks rehydrating/soaking even though they quit leaking after a couple of days.

Today I thought I would empty and rinse them out. Once empty I was looking in the bung with a flashlight, not quite sure what I was seeing and while the smell wasn't bad it wasn't great either.

After a little thought I decided it probably would not be that difficult to remove an end to check things out.

I tacked a board to the end so it could be removed in one piece.

011.JPG

Loosened and removed the hoops from one end and the end came right out.

001.JPG

Much of the wax had started to separate but at least there wasn't anything growing in there.
I decided as long as I was this far I'd just scrape the wax and a little wood from the inside.

010.JPG

Here is what it looked like when I was done

014.JPG

To Be Continued.....

I tried to find a pictorial standard of toasts but couldn't

I wanted a light toast as white wines are the plan.

017.JPG

I think the flash made this look lighter than it actually is.

008.JPG

I left the wax on the ends adn used the torch to remelt it (this is a before picture)

022.JPG

and finally to its new home.
I removed the end from the other and will tackle it next week.

You are a daring soul. It looks great now. I hope you get the end back on with the hoops and it doesn't leak. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out. Best wishes!

You are a daring soul. It looks great now. I hope you get the end back on with the hoops and it doesn't leak. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out. Best wishes!

Yesterday I finished barrel #2 it had 1 small leak on 1 end and was all dry this morning.

I just filled barrel #1 it has a slightly bigger leak on 1 end which I sort of expected as it has been drying out since last week. Im sure it will stop soon it's barley dripping.

Photo of seepage on barrel #1 it's slowing down fast.

014.JPG

Back