Good book recommendation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTooth

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good book recommendation for the beginning wine maker?

In beer brewing, "How to Brew" by Jim Palmer is the standard beginners book and it is excellent.

I'm looking for a wine equivalent, if one exists.

That's a darned good question, and one I've asked since I started doing wine a few months ago. For me, a key thing was that I'm doing strictly kits so far, and all of the books I've found virtually ignore the beginning winemaker who's getting his feet wet with kits. As you know the Palmer book and the older "Bible," the Papazian book, spend a lot of time on extract brewers, the beer equivalent of kit makers.

If you're doing grapes (and to a lesser degree if you're doing kits), I'd suggest Sheridan Warrick's "The Way to Make Wine" and Jon Iverson's "Home Winemaking Step by Step."

Good luck to you.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. That's exactly the issue I've been running into. If you make kits, people just say to "follow the instructions", but I am hoping to learn more about what I am doing in each step of the kit and why.

I'll definitely check out your recommendations.

Do a search on this forum.
Some time ago this topic was already covered.

in the mean time on my web-log
in the column on the right at the bottom
there is a list with links that contain
free downloadable books.

Luc

Thanks, Luc.

I did do a search before I posted, but since the newest thread on this topic was from 2006, I thought there might be more/better info now.

Nice blog, by the way. Looks like I've got plenty of reading between it and the links on the right. :)

If you're doing grapes (and to a lesser degree if you're doing kits), I'd suggest Sheridan Warrick's "The Way to Make Wine" and Jon Iverson's "Home Winemaking Step by Step."

That sounds like a good book - do you perhaps know if you can order it online?

That sounds like a good book - do you perhaps know if you can order it online?

I did a quick search and found many places that sell the second book recommended try barnes and nobles on-line.

Ok, thank you! I will figure that out by myself shouldn't be that complicate ;)

I wanted to post a link for you but this site doesnt allow that for the first 10 posts by a newer member.If you still are having problems trying to find the books on-line just say so. I think I might be able to post a link for you now.

Latest posts

Back