Golden Raisin Ingredients

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putterrr

Reaction score
I was just at the stores looking for golden raisins for a white wine kit and they did not have the Sun-Maid Cali Golden ones that other have posted a picture of what to use.

The only 2 i found were a south african golden sultana raisins and for ingredients is says raisins, palm oil, sulphites. The other also mentioned raisins, vegetable oil, sulphites.

Now I'm not concerned about the sulphites as i can soak/rinse them. The oils mentioned has me questioning.

Can anyone comment on whether they would be acceptable for wine.

Also what is on the Sun-Maid box for ingredients?

thx

My experience with using juice/fruit with sulphites.
Will it ferment ,,,,a big yes
Why....cause mfg use as little as possible .
And sulphites will only tolerate yeast to a certain level..then the yeast takes over...
Sometimes you may have to pitch yeast, wait 24 hours and pitch again.
But it will ferment......

I have only found Sunmaid in my area and have used them without rinsing, with no problems. However, having never read the ingredients till now, I wonder if I might have got another ferment going had I rinsed out the sulfites. I'll try that next time.

The back of the box says "Califorina Golden Raisins. 'Just grapes and sunshine'.
The fine print on the ingredients lists raisins and sulpher dioxide. (sulfites). Nothing else.

Oils are a litte diffrent...not sure if it would mix with wine....they probably add that to give the fruit a sheen. make it look better.

Back