Going to start again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

touchtoomuch

Reaction score
I'm about to start making wine again after quite a few years (7 years approx) and can't remember quite a few things. So, I may be asking a lot of questions. First of all,. Should I replace all of my cleaning powder, tannins, yeast nutrient, capden tabs, etc? Also, should a person change the PH of of a wine kit?

Welcoming me back! It takes a lot of time, money and effort to make a good wine. I don’t chance it, I toss my stuff after a year. A good wine kit is paint by numbers, you shouldn’t have to change a thing.

I'm about to start making wine again after quite a few years (7 years approx) and can't remember quite a few things. So, I may be asking a lot of questions. First of all,. Should I replace all of my cleaning powder, tannins, yeast nutrient, capden tabs, etc? Also, should a person change the PH of of a wine kit?
Your chemicals will only last about a year, so those should be replaced.

regarding ph of wine kit. I would not prefermentation, however I would do taste tests and bench trials once wine is clear and stable. these bench trials should strive to balance the wine. I have used sugar syrup to do so without creating a sweet wine but improving the taste profile. acid trials could also be done. these are taste test not measurements for a specific number but an attempt to find a pleasant balanced wine.

Back