Going Commercial,,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
I've noticed several members mention that they were going in the direction of becoming commercial.
It's asking a lot, I know,,,,
but how about a thread on what it's taking and what they are having to do.
What their hopes and dreams are, and the process of getting there.

yeah, details, licensing, state and federal info, etc. very educational!
can i get continuing education for this, lol

That could be tough - as i think different states have different rules/regulations. I am sure we will get some info - but it might be related to the poster's his or her state.

A few years back, I was on an airplane going from PIT to SFO. Sitting beside me was a lady who claimed to own, with her husband, a small winery in Lodi. She was lamenting the difficulties of making a buck in the wine business. She said that there was a favorite joke about the wine business that goes as follows; "The way to make a small fortune in the wine business is to start with a large one."

Every time I get the idea that going into the commercial wine-making business might be a great retirement venture, I think about that joke and take another sip.

I think instead of one thread for wineries what seems to work better is each individual has there own thread. Then you can follow along indivually with each person. This seems to work out very well on another forum.

"The way to make a small fortune in the wine business is to start with a large one."

Every time I get the idea that going into the commercial wine-making business might be a great retirement venture, I think about that joke and take another sip.

my father is hoping to use our winery for retirement. my mother still works another job, but if all goes well she'll be able to retire too. i will work until i can live off the winery. i'm 25 and have returned to live at home to help get this off the ground. eventually, i'll live here and they'll move when and if all goes well.

i will create a thread here soon revealing alot. today is a big day. 10 large presents are due in today and 2 more soon. the trick in the business is to keep operating costs down. ours is on our property, had a large enough building with heat/ac when we bought it and sold for a price that almost any home buyer could afford. we are not growing our own crops. we are in touch with others to grow for us (less work) for a certain price. we have also developed wines that are not available anywhere (non-grape) and are near the oldest appellation in the country! so, traffic for wine shouldn't be an issue. there are 7 local wineries. we make 8, but ours stand out. i cannot divulge all of what we are doing till we are closer to opening, but should help others learn what it takes.

Sounds like you guys have a solid game plan. I look forward to hearing about your ventures. Please do start your own thread with your winery name on it so we can follow along and future members can look back. Best of luck to you!:b

my father is hoping to use our winery for retirement. my mother still works another job, but if all goes well she'll be able to retire too. i will work until i can live off the winery. i'm 25 and have returned to live at home to help get this off the ground. eventually, i'll live here and they'll move when and if all goes well.

i will create a thread here soon revealing alot. today is a big day. 10 large presents are due in today and 2 more soon. the trick in the business is to keep operating costs down. ours is on our property, had a large enough building with heat/ac when we bought it and sold for a price that almost any home buyer could afford. we are not growing our own crops. we are in touch with others to grow for us (less work) for a certain price. we have also developed wines that are not available anywhere (non-grape) and are near the oldest appellation in the country! so, traffic for wine shouldn't be an issue. there are 7 local wineries. we make 8, but ours stand out. i cannot divulge all of what we are doing till we are closer to opening, but should help others learn what it takes.

Great information - will look forward to hearing more from you.

Let us know the location - as i live sound of St. Louis - so Hermann area is not that far from me :h.

I also look forward with much anticipation for more posts on this.
Even some of us guys who might never get to go commercial, can dream.

A winery for retirement sure beats my retirement plan...
A bottle of Jack Daniels and a 38 special... :)

A winery for retirement sure beats my retirement plan...
A bottle of Jack Daniels and a 38 special... :)

doesn't sound too good there. :dg

i'll post up some pics tomorrow, hopefully.

we've learned alot, that's for sure. what i do know, is that you can get a good start with about $200-250K depending on a few variables. only problem, it's super hard to get a loan nowadays. luckily my mother had a great job (there for 30 yrs) and saved what she could for retirement. i've worked 2 jobs for a year and a half to help contribute, but even so i was only able to drop 15k on it. originally, she didn't want to help us, but the stock market went south and she realized you can bet on a company or start one and have a hand in it ;)

Latest posts

Back