Going Commercial

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdelli

Reaction score
Well...... Another hobby that got out of hand and now taking to the next level. With my cellar approaching 1400 bottles and wine season just around the corner. I figured it was time to find a way to start making it go away or my hobby would have to stop. So, I am getting my small wine makers license and have purchased a small commercial house in a quant downtown city. The basement is being converted to a wine cellar. The upstairs is going to look like a wine cafe. Starbucks style. Wine tasting, Free internet, Wine parties, Wine classes, Crush parties. Rent the cellar out for small parties.
Still renovating.... Hopefully done in a couple months.
The name.... “The Wine House”

Last edited:
Well...... Another hobby that got out of hand and now taking to the next level. With my cellar approaching 1400 bottles and wine season just around the corner. I figured it was time to find a way to start making it go away or my hobby would have to stop. So, I am getting my small wine makers license and have purchased a small commercial house in a quant downtown city. The basement is being converted to a wine cellar. The upstairs is going to look like a wine cafe. Starbucks style. Wine tasting, Free internet, Wine parties, Wine classes, Crush parties. Rent the cellar out for small parties.
Still renovating.... Hopefully done in a couple months.
The name.... “The Wine House”
This sounds intriguing and something I’m considering. Can you keep me posted on the licensing process? My personal email is [email protected] - that would be amazing...

As a hobby we make wine we like, as a business we make wine others like.
Haha, I make wine that others like as I do not drink much wine. So I guess I'm operating more of as if I was a buisiness even though I'm a home wine maker

Congrats. I’m hoping to do something similar after I graduate grad school. My entrepreneurial project is going to be based around a unique winery concept.

Pennsylvania has finally eased up on their restrictions and created a lot more options with what you can do with a limited winery license so it’s pretty exciting in that regard. They’re starting to pop up everywhere. If they would just get rid of the 350 mile radius rule for produce, I think small private wineries would become as popular as craft breweries.

This past Monday I got City Council approval for a commercial wine makers license! It was a tough road with them and this should be the last piece of the puzzle the state needs to give me my license. Especially since there is another one a few doors down that makes wine kits.

Congrats! I'm on a similar journey myself right now. I actually have my hearing with the city next month.

All the red tape is maddening but manageable. I figure at the very least I'll get one of my hobbies to pay for itself.

Had my meeting with the city a week ago. Kinda sticky but all went well! Got their blessing. Now the last part is getting all my ducks in a row for the local state inspector and we should be on our way!

The Wine House been getting a lot of work done the last month or so. Wine cellar almost finished. Painters in painting. Wood floors getting sanded and finished. I am back in Italy so shopping for some unique things to add to it.

Latest posts

Back