Gobelet/Goblet training

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelman

Junior
Reaction score
Hi ,
I am replacing some vines and I am wanting to do the Gobelet training method. I love the look. I can't seem to find much online about training from year one. Most everything I find is pruning after the vine has matured.

Does anyone have any literature/pictures on this method?
Or books I can purchase?

Thanks

Estate Lish a stake about 2 in thick all around... Typically your first couple years which it takes about 10 to begin standing on its own. Its all about establishing a Head. A typical height is 30inches of the ground. Let canes grow from this point and tie them up during the main course of the year to the stake. Again come pruning season cut back to two to four buds depending on it's vigor. Constantly over a course of time the plant will only push from that very point. Just so you know it's a good method for not having a trellis but if you have ant kind of disease pressure in your area it is hell to spray and keep good airdflow because of it's now tree like growth habit. Best of luck it really is a wicked looking thing though.

Latest posts

Back