WineXpert Go Figure.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weekend before last, a friend down the street (also the guy who supplied my wine room mahogany) was throwing a big Christmas party, so I donated a bunch of wine for the party. He really helped me out a lot with the price of my millwork, so I decided that whichever of the wines he and his wife liked best, I'd make them a batch to say thanks. I inquired as to their preference, he likes reds, she likes whites, neither like them sweet.

Put together quite a selection, SLD Merlot, Lodi Ranch Cab, Eclipse Nebbiolo and Barolo, PG from Grapes, Chard from grapes, 3 different top end Amarones, Eclipse Pinot and Sauvignon Blanc, you get the picture, nice stuff. Also threw together some random stuff for other guests, DB, some Island Misty type stuff, just for fun.

The verdict floored me. Overwhelmingly, they, and many of the guests, absolutely raved over the freakin Island Mist Pineapple Pear Pinot Grigio. This was a kit I'd done about a year ago and still had 20 or so bottles, and I had to run home to get more. All of the wine I sent got consumed, but this one was top choice.

Checked my notes the next day, done by the book except with the added sugar boost and white grape concentrate from LP. Dutifully, I ordered a double batch from LP, it's now finished fermenting and sitting in carboys clearing.

I'm not saying that my feelings are hurt, but go figure...........

image.jpg

John, I'm not surprised at all. I've learned that my 'safest' wine for company that is universally liked is Gewuztraminer, an off dry German white. The commercial wine industry knows that in general Americans will choose an off dry to sweet wine over dry most of the time. This is despite most claiming to like dry wines. I've not made an Island Mist, but maybe one day. For now we're sticking with G-miner.

I don't think that there were many serious wine lovers there, but a few were pretty stoked over some of the dry reds, and I suspect what you say is right about the vast majority.

One of my favorite sayings..."There is no disputing taste."

My wife insisted she liked dry wines until I started this hobby four years ago and learned differently. Turns out she likes off dry. All the batches I make with her in mind are back sweetened with at least 2 cups of sugar.

I've also not ever made a mist type wine but am planning to give it a try. The one mentioned in the OP sounds like a good choice as one of my wife's favorites that she likes me to make is a back sweetened Pinot Grigio.

Like they say, Opinions are like you know what. Everyone has one. The important thing is if you're doing something for someone. Make sure it's something they like. That's all that matters.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasp...sweet-wine-says-latest-survey/2/#1c037b541640

Timely article. From Forbes last week is an intro to a study on American wine preferences. This re-affirms the preference for off-dry/semi-sweet wines. One of the authors of the study is Dr. Liz Thach. I attended her presentation at the last WineMakerMag conference. She was fun to see and put on a great class dealing with the effects of food and spices on wine and how people perceive wine flavors.

I am not surprised at all. There was a recent thread on the Top 100 Kit Wines. Winexpert Peach Apricot Chardonnay was the #1 kit. That was a blind taste test, not sales volume.

Guess what's clearing under my desk right now? This was THE pool wine this summer. Oughta start another one after this....

The Island Mist Raspberry Peach Sangria, bumped up with LP concentrate and corn sugar that I made last Spring, is down to two or three bottles. My Wife's hands down favorite is the OB Cranberry Craze w/half the f-pack put in the primary. Won't be long until I have to order another one of those.

I have a theory that goes beyond the notion that we like our wines a bit on the sweet side, our protestations notwithstanding... The wine they raved about was unusual - Pineapple Pear Pinot Grigio. My guess is no one at that party ever had such a wine. So, if its a given that you make good wine as a general proposition (and I think that it is), it's the one that's going to hit them square between the eyes and stand out in their minds.

Do you all make those Island Mist kits to 6 gal. or cut them back to 5 gal.?

Interesting use of the LP concentrate, I hadn't considered that but may need to try it. I have the IM Peach Raspberry sitting on my shelf for a few months now, may have to bump that up to do during the holiday. I was considering just adding some fruit to it (similar to tropical dragons blood) for the primary with some additional sugar.

Great question - I was considering going down to 5 as well with mine and starting it the other week, but the instructions boldly say not to do to another size... so I have been contemplating between leaving it alone or ignoring WE..

Great question - I was considering going down to 5 as well with mine and starting it the other week, but the instructions boldly say not to do to another size... so I have been contemplating between leaving it alone or ignoring WE..

I ask because @joeswine does that with a lot of the lower end kits. I know with the Fontana reds he does it.
Maybe he will chime in here.

I ask because @joeswine does that with a lot of the lower end kits. I know with the Fontana reds he does it.
Maybe he will chime in here.

Oh I know... that's why I was thinking of it as well. Because of that thread I also have another 3 lower end kits sitting here. It is a great question though, I've been searching to see if anyone has done the Island Mists down to 5

Oh I know... that's why I was thinking of it as well. Because of that thread I also have another 3 lower end kits sitting here. It is a great question though, I've been searching to see if anyone has done the Island Mists down to 5

I don't. But I'll put half to 3/4 of the f-pack into primary. Will also add some sugar if needed to get me to 12+%

After looking through the Tweaking Kits thread, I did find one IM kit where it looks like he bumped up ABV from 1.060 to 1.080 and started with approx. 5.5 gal.

On the other hand, it sounds like most of you have been making the full 6 gal. and are pleased with it.

@Boatboy24 I would add the whole fpac at the end as this would be for my wife and she likes sweeeeet. For me, I could probably only tolerate 1/2 at the end, similar to what you do.

I think the idea of the grape concentrate and the added corn sugar is so that you can make the kit at 6 gallons and be above the 10% ABV threashold so that the wine is protected in the bottle longer term. LP's website has a blurb on it if I remember correctly.

Edit: blurb follows...

Many people may prefer a wine with a little more alcohol and body so we have added the option to boost your wine kit with a pound of corn sugar and 1 liter of grape concentrate to the left of the product. This combination increases alcohol while still maintaining the wines body and flavor.

"Boosting" Guide:

The boosting of an Island Mist series kit is easy and brings the alcohol content to approx 9%. Simply adding corn sugar alone will boost the alcohol of your kit without adding body or mouthfeel to support this increase. Doing this will leave your wine tasting "hot" and unbalanced. The addition of white or red grape concentrate leaves your wine with more balance and produces a more enjoyable end product. Both the 1 lb corn sugar and 1 liter of grape concentrate should be mixed in stage 1 after adding your main juice pack and before topping up to the 6 gallon mark with water.

Last edited:

I make the full 6 gallon, but buy the extra pack of sweetener and extra white grape concentrate. That boosts the ABV as well as the flavor profile. When I add the kit to my LP cart, those two options pop up for selection.

Back