WineXpert Go Figure.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make the full 6 gallon, but buy the extra pack of sweetener and extra white grape concentrate. That boosts the ABV as well as the flavor profile. When I add the kit to my LP cart, those two options pop up for selection.

Ok, that makes sense, as far as taking care of the mouthfeel along with bumping up ABV.

I will have to see what options I have when I decide to purchase one. I get most kits off Amazon, due to my "fitness bucks" I receive through work.
Otherwise I would assume I can just add sugar, as I always do, to bump the ABV, and buy some Welchs/Old Orchard grape concentrate and add for the body.

I would assume I can just add sugar, as I always do, to bump the ABV, and buy some Welchs/Old Orchard grape concentrate and add for the body.

You can absolutely do that, I believe it will accomplish the exact same thing. From LP, I get the extra one pound corn sugar and 1 liter of white grape concentrate. If I recall the SG ends up in the 1.075 - 1.080 range and the IM kits, for me, usually finish quite dry, yielding an ABV in the 12% range.

I know a local winemaker, UCD grad, medium size winery, that vowed never to make the style of wine that he says is now the bulk of his business. "People talk dry, buy sweet".

My favorite wine (by others) was a Rhone blend that had .5 RS from a stuck Grenache ferment. People loved it. Ya gotta please the masses.

Interesting tangent. We make a lot of Dandelion Wine. Even though it is bone dry(1.096 down to .992), everyone classifies it as semi-sweet. They say it tastes like a field on a bright sunny day. So my takeaway is that flavor profiles have a lot to do with perception of sweetness.

I make the full 6, but increase ABV with sugar and white grape concentrate. The extra alcohol seems to decrease the perception of sweetness.

All of my Island Mist kits go over well at group gatherings. Its the sweetness.

I had been planning on making Gewuztraminer for my son's wedding in June, but now you all just about have me convinced to make an Island Mist instead. It sounds like they are crowd pleasers and the lower alcohol content, even with the extra juice and sugar, sounds like a better idea for what will likely be a warm to hot June New York wedding.

I had been planning on making Gewuztraminer for my son's wedding in June, but now you all just about have me convinced to make an Island Mist instead. It sounds like they are crowd pleasers and the lower alcohol content, even with the extra juice and sugar, sounds like a better idea for what will likely be a warm to hot June New York wedding.

I'll reserve and bring a bottle of Sangria for when we meet early next year, I can also steal a bottle of my Wife's stash (don't tell her) of an OB Cranberry Chianti (used 1/2 f-pack up front, backsweetened with the balance). Both kits could easily be ready for a June wedding. Both are best drunk heavily chilled.

You just have to remind me that I promised you those when the time comes...

My wife's friends all love a Peach Chardonnay I made. My wife can't drink it without cutting it with something (too sweet) and I made it only half-sweet.
I'll happily do another one when this one runs low. It's cheap, cheerful and popular - what's not to like about it?

All my other wines are dry.

The grape concentrate is a great idea.

Back