Glyphosate found in 19 of 20 beers, wines tested

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Article:

"Assuming the greatest value reported, 51.4 ppb, is correct, a 125-pound adult would have to consume 308 gallons of wine per day, every day for life to reach the US Environmental Protection Agency's glyphosate exposure limit for humans. To put 308 gallons into context, that would be more than a bottle of wine every minute, for life, without sleeping."

Agreed that none in your beer / wine is better than having any at all, but it doesn't seem to be a real concern even at the highest dosage found, 51.4 parts per billion............

Certified organic, you say?

From the Article:

"Assuming the greatest value reported, 51.4 ppb, is correct, a 125-pound adult would have to consume 308 gallons of wine per day, every day for life to reach the US Environmental Protection Agency's glyphosate exposure limit for humans. To put 308 gallons into context, that would be more than a bottle of wine every minute, for life, without sleeping."

Agreed that none in your beer / wine is better than having any at all, but it doesn't seem to be a real concern even at the highest dosage found, 51.4 parts per billion............

You're assuming we can have 100% faith in what the EPA recommends. I personally have something less than that.

You're assuming we can have 100% faith in what the EPA recommends. I personally have something less than that.

No doubt, but they'd really have to off by an incredible factor for the worst case scenario to have any impact. A bottle of wine per minute for life with no sleep means, if you live to be 75, consuming 39,420,000 bottles of wine.

Starting at age 21 and drinking a bottle a day til you die at 75, means consuming 19,710 bottles, a mere .05 % of the "danger dose", a factor of safety of 2000. Alcoholism, liver disease, or some other sickness would kill you way before the glyphosate would.

If I lived by beer and wine only, I don't think there would be a concern, I will never reach the 39,420,00 bottle in my lifetime. I'll probably fall a few bottles short.

But If this is in wine and beer. What are the amounts in produce? Meat/poutry? Processed foods? Neigbor's lawn and sidewalks? Nearby park? The air?

What is the accumulated affect?

If I lived by beer and wine only, I don't think there would be a concern, I will never reach the 39,420,00 bottle in my lifetime. I'll probably fall a few bottles short.

But If this is in wine and beer. What are the amounts in produce? Meat/poutry? Processed foods? Neigbor's lawn and sidewalks? Nearby park? The air?

What is the accumulated affect?

Now those are the numbers that I'd expect to be out of control. Once Monsanto invented Roundup, they also started selling genetically enhanced farm seed / grains that were "Roundup Ready", meaning that it didn't affect them. So you can plant Roundup Ready corn and spray roundup on the entire crop, and it kills everything but the corn. Roundup ready soybeans, same gig. More here about it if you're interested: http://web.mit.edu/demoscience/Monsanto/about.html

Now those are the numbers that I'd expect to be out of control. Once Monsanto invented Roundup, they also started selling genetically enhanced farm seed / grains that were "Roundup Ready", meaning that it didn't affect them. So you can plant Roundup Ready corn and spray roundup on the entire crop, and it kills everything but the corn. Roundup ready soybeans, same gig. More here about it if you're interested: http://web.mit.edu/demoscience/Monsanto/about.html

Thanks, will read

Fortunately or unfortunately chemicals are a part of everything today so you can't get too worked up about it. When you start measuring down to the ppb range, you'll find many environmental/industrial chemicals in the human body, pesticides, herbicides, PCB's, metals, preservatives like methyl paraben, BPA, not to mention various hydrocarbons like toluene and xylene etc. The CDC publishes a general informational report on what is found, primarily trending conclusions are made; not that anyone is really interested, certainly isn't comforting, but the reports and additional fact sheets can be found below.

https://www.cdc.gov/exposurereport/index.html

Except it is sprayed on long before there is any produce on the plant. Also last I checked ( it's been a while since) Roundup ready is only labeled for livestock consumption

Years ago my former employer aka "The Laboratory" started making all sub contractors who mow, weedwack, spray herbicides etc. wear a Tyvek jumpsuit, half face respirator and of course safety glasses anytime they do anything basically. Even peak summer months when we can hit in the 90's. Probably a good move on their part......

b778633a75e657d5095d8e50b67290ed.jpg

Nothing personal but anytime you mention politics on either side (red or blue) they will be deleted. Its just too polarizing of a subject and flame wars start up almost immediately guaranteed.

Well, this is something that has been on my mind of late. I use Round Up fastidiously and sparingly. I do so with all the chemicals I use. I tried the organic route, and didn't have much success. I live in the fungus and mold capital of the US (Ohio river valley). Needless to say histoplasmosis is another concern for residents here and my wife had part of her lung removed in 2000 as a result of it. For grapes, if you don't treat, you will have downy and powdery mildews. I also maintain the rows of younger plants with Roundup so that they can get their feet in good soil without competition. I have looked at the citrus based weed killer, but it is not systemic and only kills the foliage, so I'd have to treat more often to control weeds. So my question is, 'How long is glyphosate residual in the soil?' My wife was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma in January, which is why I have additional concern now. I have long been an advocate of science, but I have long believed that we know less than we think we do.

PS. If you have experience with the citrus based weed killers, please let me know as I'm interested in how the grapes respond and how it effects the soil.

Some studies have said glyphosate never breaks down. Monsanto has always said it breaks down in 24 hours but most believe that that is now wishful thinking and a marketing ploy at best.

Latest posts

Back