Glycerine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
Been some talk on Glycerine. Where can you buy in bulk? Like by the Ltr or 1/2 gallon

I bought a gallon at the following web site. (It won't let me post a web site, this is a dot com.)

homebrewit

You know I looked and saw 2 entry's and both were 4 oz bottles. Now I see that the second one actually is for a gallon with a 4oz bottle pic. So much for looking at just the pictures. :d

You know I looked and saw 2 entry's and both were 4 oz bottles. Now I see that the second one actually is for a gallon with a 4oz bottle pic. So much for looking at just the pictures. :d

Yeah I know. I finally had to start actually reading instead of just looking at the pictures to get by. :)

That needs to be fixed as I went online and got some. If there was a picture of a gallon then I would have got it from George. I thought it was a typo..

I've never used glycerine and had a few questions for those that have. Does glycerine have an unlimited shelf life? Are there any considerations regarding storage (ie. refrigeration, oxidation, etc.)?

Iv'e seen 4oz bottles in homebrew stores and they are not under refrigeration. Not sure about shelf life but from what I heard it should be no problem. Most people will only be getting a 4oz bottle anyway. There will be some (ME) who would consider getting larger quanities. :r

Glycerine at bottling or degassing

If anyone has added glycerine to their wines, have they done it right before they bottle or after they've degassed and stabilized their wine?

I'm planning on degassing and stabilizing the cranberry-raspberry wine and the first batch of grape wine today. The cranberry-raspberry will befinitely be treated with glycerine but not the grape. Both have fermented to dry.

WSG

I bought a gallon of glycerine. I've been playing with it and adding it to the bottling bucket.
How much depends on what you have and where you want it. I started with 2oz now up to 5oz for 6 gallons. I just want a little more mouthfeel.

As you know I make alot of fresh juice wines. They usually are on the thin side compared to fresh grape wine. Thats where I add it for now.
BTW Wade, I mixed 7# of Blueberries (F-PAC) to a 6 gallon batch of Chilean Pinot Noir ( I added 5oz of glycerine to that). My wife and daughter drank real FAST what the Wine Gods left. LOL. Yes Wade, they did like your Blue/Pinot.

Last edited:
Cool, I think next time I will up the abv a little more on the all juice pinot as when mixed with my Blueberry it was a little to low.

Latest posts

Back