Glycerin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last October when we bottled a 2nd run Red Blend (equal parts Merlot, Malbec, & Zinfandel), I added glycerin. However, I bottled a 375 ml bottle prior to adding glycerin, so we could later taste test.

That test was today. The wine with glycerin is very smooth, full bodied with balanced tannin and fruit. Most would not realize it was a 2nd run wine.

The one without? The oak/tannin flavor was much stronger, it was rougher, and lacked the smooth mouth feel. On it's own, it's probably ok, but in comparison to the other, it is lacking.

It's hard to believe the 2 wines are the same wine. It spent 10 months in a neutral 54 liter barrel, with 6 oz French medium toast cubes for 4 months. The only difference is the glycerin. It's made me a believer in adding glycerin.

Food for thought ....

red blend.jpg

As a teenager, based upon my handwriting my parents were convinced I was destined to be a doctor. I had the handwriting down, but lacked the interest .... 😜

I tested the 2 wines again last night, as both splits were 3/4 full. Same result, and if anything, I liked the non-glycerin wine even less.

So I combined the 2 wines. This mimicked adding 1/2 oz per gallon instead of 1 oz. The combined wine was far better than the non-glycerin, but not as good as the 1 oz/gallon wine.

YMMV

I've started adding glycerin to most of my country wines. The amount I add depends on how much body the wine already has, and what I am looking for. The most I have added so far is 1/2 oz. (= 1 US Tbls.) per gallon. That makes a huge difference to the body and mouth feel. It also adds some sweetness, so I don't need quite as much back sweetening.

I’ve use glycerin in the past to create a better mouth feel (texture) what I found was only need to use it in the most extreme cases of thin wine, that’s were in combination with enhancements can make a well round inexpensive wine, works very good with ports.

I tested the 2 wines again last night, as both splits were 3/4 full. Same result, and if anything, I liked the non-glycerin wine even less.
9 months after this post (07/2021) I'm still enjoying my 2019 2nd run. But not for much longer -- I have only 9 bottles of this one left, and 2 bottles of the Squeezin's (hard pressed wine). Both are a surprise, as the guys that mentored me drank their 2nd run within 1.25 years. Being 2.5 years out is beyond that experience.

second run.jpg

So I combined the 2 wines. This mimicked adding 1/2 oz per gallon instead of 1 oz. The combined wine was far better than the non-glycerin, but not as good as the 1 oz/gallon wine.

YMMV
How long before bottling do you add the glycerin?

One thing I found using Glycerine Is that you have to mix it in well, otherwise when you move the bottle you can see it separately from the wine. Apart from that, it's a useful addition to add body and some sweetness.
PS I often do it on an individual basis, depending on what I want.

Latest posts

Back