Glycerin Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nucjd

Cove Springs Farm
Reaction score
Hey Guys searched a bit on the forum but I was wondering your viewpoints of how, and when to add Glycerine in your wine.

Last edited:
It's a 'suck it and see' sort of thing. decant off a pint or a bottle amount and add glycerine teaspoon by teaspoon and when you'r happy multiply up the quantity added. Cheers, Tony.

Yep, do a bench trial, then when satisfied, add to the whole batch.

Too much glycerin can make the wine taste sweet, so go slow.

The glycerin I have (Liquor Quik brand) is recommended at 30 ml per 5-6 gal of wine - that is about 1.5 oz or so, I believe.

A teaspoon per gallon of wine seems to work well, although I reduce this to 3/4 of a teaspoon for white wine. (Just my personal taste).

I guess I have to ask a question. What are you trying to accomplish by adding glycerin? I add it to all my fruit wines for body. Do you want to add body or sweetness? Does your cabernet really need either?

Thanks for the response guys.

Last edited:
If you are tasting a tart taste now with your cab, you are just tasting a "green" wine taste. Cabernet needs to age. I would suggest holdng off adding glycerin for sweetness. Wait a few months and then taste. It can be added anytime as long as you add sorbate.

I use 3-4 oz per 5 gallons for mouth feel. It is not enough for me to taste sweetness, it does improve body. I would use no more than 4 oz. per 5 gal.

Richard L.

Thanks for the post Lurker.

Last edited:
I add glycerin to about 75% of my red wine kits for mouthfeel. I have done several bench tests but have now settled on 4ounces per 6 gallons.

I use 3-4 oz per 5 gallons for mouth feel. It is not enough for me to taste sweetness, it does improve body. I would use no more than 4 oz. per 5 gal.

Richard L.

I add glycerin to about 75% of my red wine kits for mouthfeel. I have done several bench tests but have now settled on 4ounces per 6 gallons.

I'm with you guys. Tom is the one that got me started on using the product and 3-4 ounces is exactly what he said to use.

Thanks for the great responses everyone.

Last edited:

Hi Tony,
Are you adding sorbate too? If so before or after the glycerin? Are you adding the glycerin just before bottling?

Thx
Tony P.

I use it on both my red and white kits.

I add a bit, mix and taste, add a bit, mix and taste. I do this till I'm happy with the change. I don't measure exactly what I use. I fill a wine glass about 3/4 full, add glycerin (which goes to the bottom of the galss) and stir till it is mixed in. Then pour the wine back into the bucket, mix well and taste. I'm probably only adding about an once at a time and usually 2-3 additions. The last batch I tweaked was a 9 month old Winery Series Cab Sav and I only did one addition.

I'm able to buy it in a 500ml container for $10, which is much cheaper than the small bottles they sell. Check around as I used to get it in 1L bottles in Edmonton for $15

Adding the feel

:dg GLYCERIN,IS ACTUALLY DESIGNED FOR LIQUOR USE,THEIR NOT ALL THE SAME SOME HAVE A HIGHER SWEETNESS RATING THAN OTHERS,BE AWARE,CARLSON PUTS OUT A GLYCERIN PACK IN A TWO OR THREE GALLON CONTAINER,RECOMMENDED DOSAGE IS 2 OZS. PER GALLON,THIS IS WHAT I HAVE IN MY TOOL BOX:try

Latest posts

Back