Glycerin for back sweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Stewart

Reaction score
Has anyone out there used glycerin for back sweetening their wine before bottling? I have 10 gal of reisling wine that I have ageing right now and I racked it yesterday. It seems to be just a little light in body and I have heard that you can use glycerin to sweeten it before bottling instead of a simple sugar syrup - this will improve the body and mouth feel to the wine. Has anyone tried this or know more about it? Thanks alot for any replies and good luck with all of your wine making endeavors.
Russ

Glycerine will add "body" and a little sweetening (not much compared to simple syrup). If you want to sweeten your wine then use simple syrup.. much cheaper. Then add glycerine to where you want the "body" to be.

I haven't used glycerine, but I seem to recall reading that too much will impart a 'tinny' taste. Sorry no convenient reference for that comment.

Steve

I had about 15 gallons of nebbiollo that wouldn't mello out, even after 3 years in sealed carboys at a constant 60 degrees. I finally experimented with a glycerin addition and found that about 1 ounce per gallon changed the wine by slightly sweetening it and mostly eliminated the harshness that was annoying me the most. I'm not crazy about the finished product, but several people I've given bottles to like it. I'm planning to use it again in the future as I believe it adds body, reduces harshness, and adds a little sweetness without diminishing the flavor profile. As always, start small, add later if needed.

I had about 15 gallons of nebbiollo that wouldn't mello out, even after 3 years in sealed carboys at a constant 60 degrees. I finally experimented with a glycerin addition and found that about 1 ounce per gallon changed the wine by slightly sweetening it and mostly eliminated the harshness that was annoying me the most. I'm not crazy about the finished product, but several people I've given bottles to like it. I'm planning to use it again in the future as I believe it adds body, reduces harshness, and adds a little sweetness without diminishing the flavor profile. As always, start small, add later if needed.

Welcome to WMT!

I added some glycerine to a light-bodied cabernet a few years back. It did improve the weight of the wine. My wife didn't love the finished product-said she could taste the glycerine.

What kind of glycerine should be used for wine? Is there a difference between LD Carlson and regular vegetable glycerine like what one could find on Amazon?

What kind of glycerine should be used for wine? Is there a difference between LD Carlson and regular vegetable glycerine like what one could find on Amazon?
I buy food grade glycerin, at a MUCH lower price than the tiny bottles available from LHBS.

Thanks. That's what I thought but wanted to be sure.
I purchased a gallon of glycerin for $25 USD. Buying by the 4 oz bottle would have cost $125.

I make liqueurs such as limoncello, which uses 1 oz per quart/liter, so I go through it faster than others might.

I purchased a gallon of glycerin for $25 USD. Buying by the 4 oz bottle would have cost $125.

I make liqueurs such as limoncello, which uses 1 oz per quart/liter, so I go through it faster than others might.
That is some serious glycerin. You clearly don't mess around winemaker81!

That is some serious glycerin. You clearly don't mess around winemaker81!
LOL! I 'spose it might appear that way!

Before I bought the gallon, I figured out how much I'd probably use. The last few years I've produced 75-80 gallons of wine/year and several gallons of liqueurs. If I used only half the jug, it's still a savings of over 50%. [but the jug is NOT going to waste!]

It's worth using: My 2019 second run blend spent 10 months in barrel with 6 oz French medium toast cubes. At bottling time I saved one bottle untreated, and added 1 oz glycerin / gallon to the remainder. A couple of months ago I found the odd bottle and opened it (22 months old).

It was almost undrinkable, as the oak was VERY sharp. Tasted along side the glycerin wine, you'd not believe it was the same wine.

If I used only half the jug, it's still a savings of over 50%. [but the jug is NOT going to waste!]

That was my thought too. I just ordered a gallon since I have 60 gallons (that's almost half of the gallon) I want to treat now and more to come soon.

I have always wanted to make limoncello too. Might play with this winter. Can you point me to a good recipe?

Latest posts

Back