Glutinous Rice Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean99

Junior
Reaction score
HI everyone,

I have been researching methods to make Glutinous Rice Wine and was wondering if anyone here can give me some advise on how to determine the alcohol content of rice wine.

With a number of the traditional recipes I have come across the rice is washed then steamed or cooked and then laid out to cool then the crushed yeast balls are sprinkled over the rice. The rice is then put into a fermentation vessel and left for a number of days. I am unsure how one determine the alcohol content of this drink since there is no liquid pre-pitch to get a SG from.

I have included a more detailed example of Glutinous Rice Wine recipe below:

Ingredients :

1kg Glutinous Rice (8 cups : the small cup that comes with your rice cooker)
20g wine biscuit (酒饼)
a small bowl of water to wet your hands
1/2-1 cup of rice cooking wine

Method :

Cook the glutinous rice in a rice cooker. Mix the rice when halfway to ensure the rice is fully cooked.
Place the cooked rice in a single layer on a tray/cookie sheet and let cool completely. (Hot/warm rice will cause the wine to turn sour)
Grind the wine biscuit into powder form. (I used a mortar & pestle)
NOTE : It is recommended to use a ceramic pot for wine making. I used my slow cooker pot. For 1kg of rice, a 3.5Qt pot is big enough. Since I have a 5Qt pot as well, I will cook 10 cups of rice instead.

Start by sprinkling a layer of powdered wine biscuit on the ceramic pot.
2nd layer – place a layer of cooked glutinous rice on top. (Do not press the rice. To prevent the rice from sticking on your fingers, dip your hand in the bowl of warm water every now and then)

3rd layer – Sprinkle another layer of powdered wine biscuit.
Repeat the 1st & 2nd layer until all rice are used.
Pour the water from the bowl on top of the rice.
Wrap the top of the pot with cheesecloth or muslin cloth to prevent insects from falling into it. Then place the pot’s cover on top. Leave the pot in a corner to allow fermentation.

On the 3rd day, you will notice wine has been produced. Pour 1/2-1 cup of cooking wine to it. Cover as in No. 10 and let the fermentation process to continue.
Wine will be ready in 21 day counting from the 1st day you started with the layering process.

Gently scoop the wine to a cooking pot. Use a cloth to sieve it. (I use the same cloth that was used to cover the pot during the fermentation process.)
Do not press the wine out of the rice to prevent thick residue later on when the wine is ready.

When all wine has been scooped, wrap the remainder rice with the cloth and place on a coriander and let the wine drip for sometime.
Finally, bring the wine to a boil at medium heat. Once wine starts to boil, remove from heat to prevent it from overflowing.
Bottled the wine when it is cool.

Last edited:
If anyone here has their own recipe that is similar I would love to hear about it.
Thanks

hi sean99, thanks for sharing the recipe. i'm making rice wine now but with a bit different method. after layering the rice with winr biscuit, i put it in the straining bag then put the bag in a bucket with lid. i close the bucket with lid but attach the airlock to the lid. now i'm wondering when normally airlock will start bubbling, now has been on the fifth day but the airlock not bubbling yet. however, i can see that some liquid appeared in the bucket.

1450450099965.jpg

This is complex.. because typically you are not adding any water to the rice. The bacteria or mold used to ferment the rice liquefies the rice as it ferments the sugars. I believe that the sugar content of rice is about 25 % that of sucrose (so 1kg of rice is the equivalent of about 1/4 kg of sugar) - if caloric value is a good measure of sugar content (100 g of gelatinous rice = 25 g of sugar = 100 cals). From another discussion forum I understand that those who make rice wine (not sake) claim that the ABV is close to 20%..

But here is a way to actually measure the alcohol content of a wine (or other liquid) when you do not know the original SG

http://www.monashscientific.com.au/BoilingMethod.htm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back