Global warming experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I planted a California walnut tree a few years ago and every winter it died back. All the above ground wood died, until last winter when most of the tree survived. Im hoping for walnuts some year but realistically it will freeze off again and start all over.7E0525C9-F4C8-4EB8-96B0-6AC92D0C6E94.jpeg

A lot of trees can survive for a time far from their native range if started indoors and pampered. I doubt you’ll ever see a thousand year old sequoia in Wisconsin though. If your walnut can’t handle freezing it’s destined to remain a shrub and you won’t be getting any nuts.

I know a guy who planted a giant sequoia growing in his yard from seed…. It’s only about 20 feet tall. They can survive winters but it will probably never thrive in Wisconsin.
I am planning to do this also. I can buy seeds so I would have to grow it inside first for year or two

The Ohio University planted a palm tree obtained from Miami on campus as an experiment in tracking the shift in grow zones about 25 or 30 years ago. For the first decade, they had to wrap it in leaf mulch for winter. Now, it grows just fine with no special attention.

Ten years ago, I sent some pecan seedlings from here to a friend in W.Va. for his own experiment, They were not supposed to grow there, winter too cold. They did just fine after a few years of mulching them in over the winter.

Latest posts

Back