Glass vs Cork Closures The way of the future??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Ok as a result of a lucky break at the recycling center I found 10 very nice bottles with Glass "Corks"

As a result of investigating their quality I realize now that I have stumbled onto what is a growing trend in the wine industry - Glass "Corks" re-usable (for when you don't finish off the wine the day you open it) and No risk of "Corking" your wine.

So far I'm still getting started getting details and I do know that they will be more expensive but having a closure that can be used over and over sounds pretty doggone good.

One key question I have is the proper way to 'cork' the bottles the first time. Apparently equipment for inserting them is not common and many (most) wineries that use them simply do the process manually. Fine by me but I don't want to mess it up.
Another benefit is that glass corked wine does NOT have to be stored on it's side, no need to keep the cork moist.

BUT having said this I am interested to see if anyone else has experience with these things. I've made contact with the US distributor and they do sell by the case. Customization is of course something they push for wineries to make their wines more distinctive but.... I believe I would be happy with their two standard choices in Black or Clear.

So I ask - anyone tried these?
Is anyone interested in perhaps a joint purchase of a case. (Qty per case varies based on size)
AND one potentially sticky detail - Size - There are different sizes base on you bottle size. THAT might be the undoing of this idea but still I would like to investigate further. I'll post a link to their info page and if I can I will try to link the pdf they sent to me.

https://vinoseal.us/

"Note - obviously this all sounds a little odd but a number of articles on these thing speak highly of them their future in the industry. For home/hobbiests it sounds nice to not have to dispose of those corks OR to have to have a corking machine (Floor/tabletop/Hand) to get wine bottled up properly." And I have nothing to gain from any sale/purchases of these things."

Attachments

• Vinoseal introduction 2018_EN.PDF
    3.8 MB · Views: 24
I have one bottle with a glass cork and I've used it about 3 or 4 times. I like it, but the used screw tops are cheaper!!

what kind of pricing per case and what quantity per case assume a nominal value. I believe we evaluated these closure about 6 year ago and compared them with Zorks a plastic closure. price drove us to the Zork. Zorks are no longer made in the USA and are no longer available. I imagine there is a equal to a #9cork size so I donot see that as a obstacle. I am open to considering this defendant on cost and quantity. there seems to be a question on reuse, does the seal break when the bottle is open and new one is required for a new bottle or does everything stay intact?

The ten I have from the recycling bin all look to be in great shape. That's the biggest draw for me. If I can clean and reuse them several times ( 3-5 ?) Then the cost equation changes completely other than than the initial outlay.

Initial cost will likely be significantly higher.

The 10 I got from the bin all seem in great shape but I'll get the magnifying glass out and inspect the.

So it sounds like size = to a number 9 traditional cork. Length? And there are also thickness of the cap portion. (All that is in the PDF I attached.)

They are in Oregon so I'll see about calling a little later today. To get pricing shipping etc. The thicker top cap portion would be easier to pull replace but looks?? No more corkscrew :db

No more corker :db

Will update when I know more.

I actually bought a case of wine that had these glass tops and they work great. I have been using these 12 bottles for my wine now. They work really well and look a hell of a lot better than screw caps.

I still cork most of my wine however.

Yeah giving away a bottle with a glass cork... But then no cork taint risk.

Thanks for comments. Looking for more info from users.

What about initial insert of the 'cork'. Just push? Using a rubber hammer risk of busting seems not cool.

Have to redesign wine rack to store upright. (Not 'have to' but easier to build flat shelf design)

Glasshouse winery in Charlottesville, VA uses glass tops. The cost is not much more according to the owner but I think he is buying from a European company.

What is the "sealing ring" made from on these?

Look at the pdf or link posted above. The seal is the key part and is supposed to be impervious to staining, tainting and certainly food safe, alcohol safe.

The Czech company (?) sells through a US company. Apparently from my reading Alcoa developed the product and sold rights to or uses a foreign company for production. Very interesting and of course there is some fussing a feuding going on to the point of Spain even making use of anything but Cork Corks illegal in many parts of the nation.
It looks like the future to me since the seal, in theory, is replaceable ? and the glass portion can be customized many different ways.

I'm game to use it, would eliminate "aged out" corks, slippery corks, cork taint. Size issues, corking machine etc. No more fussing about sanitation stored corks or before use.

Last edited:
what kind of pricing per case and what quantity per case assume a nominal value. I believe we evaluated these closure about 6 year ago and compared them with Zorks a plastic closure. price drove us to the Zork. Zorks are no longer made in the USA and are no longer available. I imagine there is a equal to a #9cork size so I donot see that as a obstacle. I am open to considering this defendant on cost and quantity. there seems to be a question on reuse, does the seal break when the bottle is open and new one is required for a new bottle or does everything stay intact?

Ok I did receive a reply on pricing today. While the per piece price isn't unreasonable, the Minimum order is looks a bit high for me (Minimum 2 cases)
I probably should have asked about the price difference between clear and black top. I'll try to contact them after the long weekend but nonetheless here's what I have:

Below is pricing for black vinoseals in the sizes you had requested. This pricing is in US dollars and is valid for 30 days. Please let us know if you would like an official quote to order, or if you have any questions.

Item: VS: VinoSeal 17.5mm Black Low Top
Quantity: 480 pieces per case / MOQ 2 case
Price: $0.53 per piece FOB Czech Republic
+Shipping
+Customs Fees

Item: VS: VinoSeal 18.2mm Black Low Top
Quantity: 480 pieces per case / MOQ 2 cases
Price: $0.53 per piece FOB Czech Republic
+Shipping
+Customs Fees

Item: VS: VinoSeal 18.5mm Black Low Top (STOCK)
Quantity: 480 pieces per case / MOQ 2 cases
Price: $0.59 per piece FOB Salem OR
+Shipping

This is actually old technology, repurposed for another industry and audience that may not know about it. The "future" bit is of course just hype. Used in beer bottles in Europe probably since beer was put into bottles. I can still buy them today (with beer), but not as common as other closure types:

2019-08-31 12.43.20.jpg

The metal band keeps the cork in place for beer, which is under pressure, but also helps prevent from loosing the cork. So, yes, I am sure they work just fine also for wine (as long as the wine is perfectly still, due to lacking the metal holder -- apply standard 7-10 day upright test after bottling to make sure). And for home wine makers, they, over time, will probably eventually pay for themselves.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back