Glass flask bottle and plastic caps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fortysixntwo

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone used 375ml glass flask bottle with the banded plastic caps? I see cheapo wine (MD20/20) sold in it, and was wondering how it holds up for home wine use. I have several cases of the bottles and caps. Im new to the forum and to wine making. I searched the forum before posting so sorry if I missed a post about this.

Attachments

• 20210218_163510.jpg
    20210218_163510.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210218_163534.jpg
    20210218_163534.jpg
    911 KB · Views: 21
375 ml glass could/ is used for wines, ,,, if you check your store 375 and 187 are used.

As a generalization, the smaller the container the larger the percentage the ullage (air space) represents in the product. Ullage translates into oxygen which can react with the beverage and shorten shelf life. A good quality commercial operation will put a drop of liquid nitrogen in the ullage immediately after the bottle is filled, this vaporizes essentially instantly pushing the oxygen atmosphere out. Meanwhile the capper is placing an oxygen tight seal on the bottle for long term protection.
A second generalization is that a reused screw cap has increased oxygen leakage. To put a risk number on it I expect between 1 in 500,000 and 1 in 100,000 commercial bottles to have slow leakage. As a guess for reused screw caps at home, I would expect slow leakage 1 in 1000 bottles with aluminum caps and 1 in 10,000 for plastic caps. . . . . I use two or three screw cap bottles with every corked wine bottle run, basically the flavor/ shelf life is similar to the rest of the batch. . . . . A question for you is how sensitive to oxidation (stale flavors) are you?

I exclusively use 375ml for “expensive” wines as dandelion where I spent hours picking petals and only produced a gallon of wine.

I note this is your first post, welcome to WMT.

Latest posts

Back