Glass Carboy¿

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdtexan

Reaction score
Ok, Ive been looking at the wine equipment kits and I notice that the carboys are advertized as glass. Can the plastic bottles (like the Ozarka) be used in their stead¿

Also, I've noticed that wines apparently have different types. I have no clue as to what thats all about. Is there a simple guide, formula, thingie to learn the difference between them all¿

Thank Yall in advance for any answers I might recieve.

I have a plastic carboy, but I never keep wine longer than a week or two at most inside it before I rack it into a glass one.

The concern is that the alcohol will leach chemicals and/or off-flavours from the plastic into your wine over time. Glass doesn't react with anything in wine, so it's the safest and preferred over any kind of plastic.

In my opinion, apart from a primary fermenter, forget about plastic if you have a choice. But if you do decide to use plastic for anything, ensure that it's white "food grade".

If you want to use plastic buy the "Better Bottles" especially made for wine.

If you want to use plastic buy the "Better Bottles" especially made for wine.

So, are you saying that I shouldnt use the "Ozarka" bottles?

Is there an opinion on whether the glass is better than the plastic?

I really want to do things correctly.

Thank You for your answer by the way. I really do appreciate it.

I have a plastic carboy, but I never keep wine longer than a week or two at most inside it before I rack it into a glass one.

The concern is that the alcohol will leach chemicals and/or off-flavours from the plastic into your wine over time. Glass doesn't react with anything in wine, so it's the safest and preferred over any kind of plastic.

In my opinion, apart from a primary fermenter, forget about plastic if you have a choice. But if you do decide to use plastic for anything, ensure that it's white "food grade".

Skyhawk, for some reason, I did not see your post before I typed the above response. It seems as though I just need to get the glass one. Thank You.

Last edited:
Ok, Ive been looking at the wine equipment kits and I notice that the carboys are advertized as glass. Can the plastic bottles (like the Ozarka) be used in their stead¿

I have no idea what an Ozarka is. Can you post a link?

Also, I've noticed that wines apparently have different types. I have no clue as to what thats all about. Is there a simple guide, formula, thingie to learn the difference between them all¿
Do you mean Merlot versus Cabernet Sauvignon versus Shiraz? If so consult your local wine store or read the descriptions on one of the wine kit web-sites. (eg http://www.winexpert.com/original/)

Steve

I have no idea what an Ozarka is. Can you post a link?Steve

I do not yet have 10 post so the forum is not letting me post a picture of the bottle or a link to it. Ozarka bottles are the ones that get delivered to your door by the big Ozarka truck. The bottles contain drinking water, supposedly they contain fresh spring water. They are five gallon bottles and they look remarkabley(sp?) like the glass carboys.

Do you mean Merlot versus Cabernet Sauvignon versus Shiraz? If so consult your local wine store or read the descriptions on one of the wine kit web-sites.

Steve
Yes, that is what I mean. There are so many, I dont even know which one it is that I like yet

Mike D

mjdtexan:

Another problem with plastic bottles is that when they get scratched, unwanted bacteria other things can get into those scratches and they cant get cleaned very well. and that could ruin a good batch of wine.

I kinda figured that Ozarka fas a water company. They are usually 18.9 litre (5 US gallon) plastic jugs. Most of the kits that you might try will make 23 litres (6 US gallon). So using the water jug would lead to complications.

Those making 5 US gallons of wine may use the water jugs, but personally I would prefer a glass 19 litre carboy.

This is a topic that comes up regularly. You might want to look for som other threads. Here's one I found without even trying (the forum software listed it at the bottom of the page).

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351

Steve

Last edited:
I kinda figured that Ozarka fas a water company. They are usually 18.9 litre (5 US gallon) palstic jugs. Most of the kits that you might try will make 23 litres (6 US gallon). So using the water jug would lead to complications.

Those making 5 US gallons of wine may use the water jugs, but personally I would prefer a glass 19 litre carboy.

This is a topic that comes up regularly. You might want to look for som other threads. Here's one I found without even trying (the forum software listed it at the bottom of the page).

Steve

Thank You. I will check out that thread.

As far as wines go I would try some commercial wines before you go making 30 bottles of something you dont like.

As far as wines go I would try some commercial wines before you go making 30 bottles of something you dont like.

I'll fess up and tell you why I am interested in making wine. This old feller down the road who used to work with my father had some big ole plastic water bottles with homemade watermelon wine in them. He had made his own air locks and everything. The wine was cloudy but it actually tasted alright. I, however, being competitive, thought to myself, I can do better. And I will. However, after reading this forum for a little while I've noticed that there is a whole bunch to it if you want it to be that way. I do. So, I dont know what you would classify watermelon wine as but I intend on making the best darn watermelon wine ever made in the great state of Texas.

I took the same attitude with BBQ a couple of years ago and now I have a room full of trophies. Its just how I am. I'm 40, white, single, country as they come, retired with not much to do but raise chickens, cows, and a garden.

mjdtexan, the best reason to make wine is because you love wine.

That might sound corny, but in order to know what good wine is, you have to have tasted and enjoyed a great variety of wines available "somewhere"... most often from the stores that sell wine. So if you have this one down, so far so good because you know what "wine" is.

The next question is can you make great wine from watermelon. The answer is "maybe"! You can certainly make a good wine from watermelon. Watermelon juice on its own will lack acid and tannin, so you'll need to mix it with other ingredients (along with more sugar) that will balance things out somewhat. I'd suggest Texan crab apples with some elderberries.

Watermelon Wine Label

M y bestest buddie died a couple weeks back and he loved his watermelon wine, and I too want to make some in his memory. This is a label one of the members made for me.

Testtomike.jpg

Stay away from water jugs. Oxygen can permeate them and ruin your wine.
The plastic ones made for home brewing are specially made to prevent this.

mjdtexan, the best reason to make wine is because you love wine.

That might sound corny, but in order to know what good wine is, you have to have tasted and enjoyed a great variety of wines available "somewhere"... most often from the stores that sell wine. So if you have this one down, so far so good because you know what "wine" is.

The next question is can you make great wine from watermelon. The answer is "maybe"! You can certainly make a good wine from watermelon. Watermelon juice on its own will lack acid and tannin, so you'll need to mix it with other ingredients (along with more sugar) that will balance things out somewhat. I'd suggest Texan crab apples with some elderberries.

I suspect you are right about loving wine. I do like it alot. To be truthful, I've never had any wine that I thought was outstanding. I am absolutely positive that there is outstanding wine out there, I've just not had it. So, I will take what you've said, and start trying different breeds of wine until I find that one that does it for me. My ex wife (I really do miss her) was a wine fanatic. Still is, bless her heart. There are so many wine "terms" out there that I dont understand. For instance, ¿what is "dry" all about? Then you have Zinfandel, Merlot, etc etc etc. I still want to make good watermelon wine though. ¿What kind of wine would watermelon wine be? Also, I need to learn about acid and tannin and the other ingrediants. I've been reading alot of yalls recipes and have noticed those "other" ingredients.

So, in short, I will order a couple of wine making equipment kits (with glass carboys) this weekend, go to the library (a favorite place of mine) and check out some wine making books and do some learning. What I can not seem to fine is a recipe for watermelon wine.

Thank All of You for your advice and helpful hand. Looking forward to pestering yall for more advice :)

Mike D

Mike:

Watermelon wine recipes
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/watermel.asp

You might look for an Orchard Breezin Watermelon White Merlot kit. This is a grape wine with watermelon flavouring added to it. It is sweet and lower alcohol. But it would serve as a good introduction to wine making. The kit makes 30 bottles that are ready to drink 6 to 8 weeks after the kit is started (if you follow the instructions).

Here's a link to the instructions...
http://www.rjspagnols.com/resource_view.asp?HandoutID=157

BTW, dry is the opposite of sweet. Dry means no or little residual sugar.

Steve

Good to have you on board Tex! We'll get you going. I live in the middle of Alaska, I am a pollack from Wisconsin, and I use the term yall alot, should I worry?(ps, never been to Texas either, not sure where it came from)
Yall take Care
Troy

The best way I've found to try new wines is at small wineries. There's several within an hour drive. Most have a limit of 8 samples but if you're buying a few of the ones you like they will usually keep pouring. I've found some wines I really liked which I wouldn't have otherwise tried.

Also - look for wine festivals. Indianapolis has one every summer - $20 (?) gets you in the door and you can try HUNDREDS of types of wines from dozens of wineries. Of course I've never gotten out of there only spending $20.

Thank Yall, I expect I'll get some wine this weekend for the NASCAR Daytona 500 race. I dont plant watermelon til the middle of March so I've got plenty of time to consume different flavors and types.

Tex, do you have anything going now? If not start something just so yall got something to look at. Even a frozen juice concentrate wine will get you excited.
Troy

Latest posts

Back